#1 Flyman

Flyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationYork and Starlight, PA

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

Years ago when I lived in NJ and was driving past Liberty I'd see the Little Beaverkill coursing it's way towards Livingston Manor. Does this little creek have any trout fishing? I never fished it although I stopped and looked at some of the plunge pools right below Parkston. Does NYS stock it or it it mostly little wild fish?

Next question when one is driving up the upper Willowemoc there is a side road that if you follow it takes you along a little creek that passes by a nature conservancy or some kind of facility with old log buildings and a nice sized spring pond full of gorgeous big trout.

Is that facility still there and does anyone fish the little creek? Isn't it called the Little Monguap Creek? I used to fish there eons ago and had pretty good luck on wild browns and in the Fall used to see lots of large Willowemoc browns run up this creek to spawn but the fish would be halted by a concrete dam opposite the log facility.

#2 ZoarValleyFisher

ZoarValleyFisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationAmherst, NY/ Lewisburg, PA

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

Hey Flyman,
I'm new to this forum and I have only fished in the Catskills several times, but I know my way around the DEC site. Below is a listing of the trout the DEC stocks in the Little Beaverkill:
Little Beaverkill (Liberty) 1,070 Brown trout 9.5"
Little Beaverkill (Liberty) 240 Brown trout 13.5"

I don't see any listing for the Little Mongaup, but there is stocking in the main branch.
Here is the web address for the DEC's trout stocking listings:
http://www.dec.state... ... ksull.html

Sorry I can't be of more help with your other questions.[/url]

#3 Bamboo&Brookies

Bamboo&Brookies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationWestchester, NY

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

Hey Matt,

I think the facilty you're talking about on Fish Hatchery Rd. is Camp DeBruce, DEC runs it for kids. I don't know if there's still a hatchery there but there is a nice pond, probably stocked with trout. The little Mongaup Stream flows beside the road.

Just up from there is Mongaup Pond Campground.

Never fished the little Mongaup Stream but have heard there are little brookies in there. Unsure if it's stocked... probably some escapees from the hatchery, though.

rjj

#4 BEAVER

BEAVER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationCatskills

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

The Little Beaverkill has some great waters and plenty of trout. There are three places where DEC has purchases some fishing rights. First one was damaged by the 2005 spring floods where the bridge was taken out. The other two parking lots are near Livingston Manor. The Mongaup Creek has some new parking spots made in 2005 where DEC purchased some land on both sides of the creek. There is parking for about 12 cars in the two mile section. The problem with Mongaup Creek is that it gets warm in the summer due to the surface release of the Mongaup Pond.

#5 cabinboy

cabinboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationCentral CT

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:31 PM

My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that the Mongaup Hatchery is still in operation.

I have scouted two Little Bkill access points in L. Manor, but never fished there. There are two marked angler parking areas.

I drove up the road by Mongaup Creek a few times, and again did some scouting, but again, never fished, opting for the Beamoc. I'm not much for smaller creeks. I prefer places I can stretch out and cast. I don't care for beating the brush and at 6'3" with a bad back, I tend to look for efficiency. Hiking through backcountry for any length of time would take its toll on me, and to me, its not worth it for smaller fish in smaller waters. I like the medium to larger waters.

#6 BigJohn

BigJohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

Dont be fooled there are no fish there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users