• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 springcreekninja

springcreekninja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

being a west coaster...im not extremely familiar with either Art Flick or Walt Dette....and after watching an episode of history detectives on pbs....i decided to do my own inquiry into an item i own and know very little about. i have a presentation..what i call Fly Plate...that is, mounted, matted, framed with plexi...with two flies mounted veritcally...the topone is printed as tied by Flick and the bottom by Dette. on the back is a business card in black and white with a "generic" (to me) dry fly taking up a large part of the left side of the card. in the upper right quadrant says "Art Flick" "West Kill, NY 12492. on the lower part of the card, centered, is a signature that reads Art Flick...I presume...the Art is undoubtedly that...but what is intriguing is the roundness of the F in the Flick of the signature. perhaps pics would better show...but i wanted to get this up and see if what i had, basically, needs to be itemized in my insurance policy.

i was gifted two fly plates...this one, which I know very little about, and another featuring some prominent western tiers mounted beneath a picture, which I know a good deal about. hopefully you guys can give me a little birthday surprise with some more Provence to this piece.

i stumbled upon this forum from a google search returning a recent post of a guy that had fished his Flick flies....the replies prompted me to think I have a little more than i may have initially thought.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 tele-caster

tele-caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:13 AM

what you have, are a couple of flies tied by catskill luminaries ... i'm surprised nobody else responded earlier, because many on this board probably knew one or both of these gentlemen ...

theres no reason to doubt the authenticity of your object ... like most items that are 'collectable', value is based on how much a particular collector is willing to part with ... you can find a good ballpark figure by posting it on ebay, with some ridiculously high reserve, if you don't want to take the chance of parting with it ... there are a number of collectable fishing tackle merchants that have websites ... some are more reputable, than others ... or, perhaps someone at the catskill flyfishing center and museum ( http://www.cffcm.net ) can point you in the right direction ...

good luck ... tele

#3 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

I always wondered myself how much flies tied by Harry Darbee and Walt Dette are worth today. Does anybody have an idea ?

#4 Luzerne

Luzerne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationLuzerne Pa

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

I just donated 3 flies tied by Walt & Winnie Dette to the museum along with a letter by Mary Dette certifying their origin.
$50.00 each,
Make sure you have a certification before you buy, there are more "supposidley tied by ....." than actually tied by on the market.
Flick's may go higher since his volume was nowhere near the Dette's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users