#1 Ellen

Ellen

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

Marcellus Shale Citizen Alert

Greetings:

I am shocked and extremely pleased to inform you that nearly 6,500 citizens, elected officials and environmental organizations have signed the coalition letter requesting Governor Paterson to withdraw the draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (dSGEIS) for Marcellus Shale Horizontal Drilling and Hydrofracking. Our goal is now 10,000 signatories.

The coalition letter has received extensive media coverage, including tv and front-page articles in the Finger Lakes, the Southern Tier and Central New York:

http://www.theithaca... ... egulations

The governor is reportedly being deluged with emails, phone calls and faxes. Keep pushing the governor to withdraw the dSGEIS. The comment period ends 12/31/09.

Urge your family, friends, colleagues and elected representatives to take immediate action. Forward this email or post our Contact the Governor page on your preferred social networking site: http://toxicstargeti...ale/contact_gov

I have attached a Town of Ithaca Resolution supporting withdrawal of the dSGEIS. It passed unanimously Monday. The Town of Enfield unanimously adopted a revised version of the resolution. Many thanks to the honorable Rich Depaolo, Town of Ithaca Board Member and author of the excellent resolution.

After you persuade everyone you know to sign the coalition letter plus email and phone Governor Paterson, you can consider trying to persuade your local City, Town or Village officials to adopt a resolution in favor of withdrawing the dSGEIS.

Thanks for all your help.

ONLY THREE WEEKS TO GO. POUR IT ON. NO EXCUSES.

Onward and upward,

Walter Hang

Email Governor David A. Paterson: governor@chamber.state. ny.us

Please bcc: info@toxicstargeting.com so we can maintain a record of all contacts.

Call or write the governor:
State Capitol
Albany, NY 12224
518-474-8390 (o)
518-474-1513 (Fax)

Make the following points succinctly and emphatically:

Governor Paterson must immediately withdraw the draft Supplemental GEIS because it is utterly inadequate to safeguard New York's environment and public health.

The Department of Environmental Conservation's (DEC) own spill reports document existing regulations have failed to prevent or to require the clean up of hundreds of natural gas and oil drilling problems involving fires, explosions, polluted drinking water wells, home evacuations and massive drilling wastewater releases. DEC must not issue new gas drilling permits until those regulatory concerns have been fully resolved. That is why the Supplemental GEIS review must be restarted.

The draft SGEIS totally fails to propose a safe method of managing natural gas drilling wastewater and hydrofracking fluid. It simply leaves that task to localities. Improper management of natural gas drilling wastewater has already caused massive toxic pollution impacts. The SGEIS must solve this disposal problem before new natural gas drilling permits are issued.

DEC is woefully understaffed to cope with existing natural gas drilling problems. Only 17 staff are available to regulate nearly 7,000 existing natural gas wells. New gas drilling permits must not be issued until the SGEIS solves this problem.

The SGEIS fails to address critical issues associated with strict clean up liability, natural gas spill reporting, private right of legal action, insurance coverage and unfunded local government mandates. All those concerns must be addressed prior to the issuance of new gas drilling permits.

Share your personal concerns with Governor Paterson. Please be respectful, but remember Governor Paterson has a duty to protect New York's natural resources and public health. That is why the draft SGEIS must be withdrawn.

Thank you for your assistance. Contact me if you have questions.

Coalition Letter sign-up: http://www.toxicstar... ... ion_letter
The coalition letter's signatories can be viewed at: http://www.toxicstar... ... ion_letter
Marcellus Shale Section: http://toxicstargeti.../MarcellusShale
Facebook: http://www.facebook.... ... 5035142437
Twitter: http://twitter.com/toxicstargeting

To unsubscribe, e-mail: signatories-unsubscribe@lists.toxicstargeting.com

11/10/09 DEMOCRACY NOW!:
* Watchdog: New York State Regulation of Natural Gas Wells Has Been "Woefully Insufficient for Decades." *
The New York-based Toxics Targeting went through the Department of Environmental Conservation's own database of hazardous substances spills over the past thirty years. They found 270 cases documenting fires, explosions, wastewater spills, well contamination and ecological damage related to gas drilling. Many of the cases remain unresolved. The findings are contrary to repeated government assurances that existing natural gas well regulations are sufficient to safeguard the environment and public health. The state is considering allowing for gas drilling in the Marcellus Shale watershed, the source of drinking water for 15 million people, including nine million New Yorkers.
http://www.democracy... ... ulation_of

11/16/09 WHCU Interview With Walter Hang About Marcellus Gas Drillng

http://www.toxicstar... ... illing_dec

Natural gas quest: State files show 270 drilling accidents in past 30 years
By Tom Wilber .twilber@gannett.com . November 8, 2009, 7:15 pm
http://www.pressconn... ... GECAROUSEL

The state's depiction of a clean, tightly regulated natural gas industry just got a shot of muck in the eye.
As the debate over the merits of Marcellus Shale development reaches a crescendo, an Ithaca researcher has culled a list of 270 files documenting wastewater spills, well contamination, explosions, methane migration and ecological damage related to gas production in the state since 1979.
Walter Hang, president of Toxic Targeting, compiled the files using the Department of Environmental Conservation's own hazard substances spills database.

#2 Dusty Miller

Dusty Miller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSpring Glen, NY

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition:

"Tell NYS DEC Commisioner Grannis No Drilling Until the EPA Completes Its Study"

I really think this is an important cause, and I encourage you to add your signature. It's free and takes just a few seconds of your time.

Thanks!

#3 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:30 AM

Ellen - A friend of mine recently fowarded this to me - for what it's worth -

Date: April 29, 2010 4:05:41 PM EDT
To: <Alwaysgoldenrule@yahoo.com>
Subject: State Decision on Natural Gas Drilling

April 29, 2010

Dear New Yorker,

First, we want to thank everyone who took the time to sign our online petition urging Governor Paterson and the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to ban drilling for natural gas in the Catskill/Delaware Watershed.

As you may have heard, this past Friday DEC determined that in order to drill in the watershed, individual projects must undergo their own environmental review rather than rely on the DEC's generic review. This will make it harder for companies to drill in the Catskill/Delaware Watershed - the source of most of our City's drinking water.

Over the past year, the NYC Council has been diligently working on the issue of hydrofracking and how the State's apparent willingness to allow drilling for natural gas upstate could result in contaminating the City's water supply. Last November, the Council passed a resolution calling for a ban on any natural gas drilling in the watershed. And in February, we delivered to the Governor's office over 300 petition letters from New Yorkers concerned about the impact that this type of drilling could have on our clean water supply.

While we're disappointed that DEC didn't take the stronger step that we have advocated for - imposing an absolute ban on drilling in the watershed, with no exception - we think this new decision is a good first step.

Leaving the watershed unprotected is just too great of a risk, and we will continue to call for the complete prohibition of drilling in the watershed. We will also work closely with the Governor and our state officials in Albany to ensure that any drilling in the State that's been permitted is being rigorously monitored and regulated.

Thanks again for helping us put up a strong fight to protect our City's water supply. We promise to keep you updated on this and other important environmental issues in the months ahead.

Sincerely,

Christine C. Quinn

Speaker

New York City Council

James Gennaro

Chair, Committee on Environmental Protection

New York City Council

#4 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

What else can be done to ensure this never occurs in this area? What else can I do to help? This makes me sick..

Leif

#5 jayd18

jayd18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationStormville NY

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

Here they come
Meetings behind closed doors and drilling rigs going up
If they get real tall ones we might be able to see it from the river
open your air sickness bags

http://www.riverrepo...1-newfield.html

#6 Ellen

Ellen

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

The movie GASLAND is being shown on Friday night, August 13th, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. at the Roscoe Free Library. Admission is free to all those interested. This movie is about Fracking and it's impact on the area and/or environment and has received awards. See it if you can!

#7 Ellen

Ellen

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

TGF AND TROUT UNLIMITED WORK WITH SPORTSMEN AND SPORTSWOMEN IN ADDRESSING NATURAL GAS DRILLING

TGF is pleased to inform its members that TU and TGF have joined together for an initiative to generate greater awareness of the potential issues confronting the northeast from the development of Marcellus Shale natural gas. TGF's Conservation Committee is working closely with TU in reaching out to angling, hunting and various other sportsmen/women organizations with the goal of facilitating a collaborative effort among these groups to engage the natural gas development issues and educate
members as to the potential impacts facing our environment. We intend to disseminate fundamental information for local angling and hunting clubs as well as individuals who may not have all the necessary data to make well-informed decisions regarding gas development on their respective properties. Our hope is that through this new initiative, we will create a clear and compelling message advocating for the protection of our treasured angling waters and hunting lands.

Please continue to provide your support to TGF and its conservation efforts. Thank you.
~ John L. Barone & Stephen Lieb, TGF Conservation Committee Chairmen.

The August 2010 TGF CONSERVATION COMMITTEE MEETING WILL BE TODAY August 23, 2010 at 7 PM.

#8 dennismueller60

dennismueller60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationHopewell, NJ

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

The Trenton Times reported yesterday (4/14/11) that Representatives of more than a dozen environemntal organizations submitted more than 35,000 public comments on natural gas drilling regulations to the DRBC, in addition more than 7600 comments that have been submitted online. Yesterday was the deadline for comments. The earliest the commission could take action is this fall.

See:
http://photos.nj.com...ered/index.html
http://photos.nj.com...elivered_4.html
http://www.nj.com/ne...llect_3000.html
http://www.nj.com/me...n_fracking.html

#9 dennismueller60

dennismueller60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationHopewell, NJ

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

The NT Times had an article about the NYDEP analysis of hydofracking at

http://www.nytimes.c...tml?ref=science

and in it the reporter said "the department seemed to be fast-tracking hydrofracking by saying on Wednesday that it would also issue proposed rules based on its draft environmental study by October, so that those rules can undergo public comment as well."

#10 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

The NT Times had an article about the NYDEP analysis of hydofracking at

http://www.nytimes.c...tml?ref=science

and in it the reporter said "the department seemed to be fast-tracking hydrofracking by saying on Wednesday that it would also issue proposed rules based on its draft environmental study by October, so that those rules can undergo public comment as well."

Not good.

Leif

#11 Guest_DavidG_*

Guest_DavidG_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Saw Gasland. The author highlighted but a half dozen problems caused by fracking. Naysayers will pin him as a tree hugger wich will reduce his credibility to the oblivious masses. The real problem was mentioned early in the movie. The energy companies are exempt from ALL environmental laws which removes or at least reduces their accoutability. That is wrong and should be the complaint that we use when we address our legislators. Absolutly no one should be exempt the federally mandated clean air and clean water act no matter how flawed it is.

#12 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

I'm a firm believer that nothing good will prevail from fracking. Only thugs and thieves in high places will profit from this threat to our ecosystem.. there is no exceptions to this ruling.this is my final input on this topic.. the feds will do whatever they want to do

#13 Flyman

Flyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationYork and Starlight, PA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

jerseyjohn wrote;

"Only thugs and thieves in high places will profit from this threat to our ecosystem.. "

I'd like to pose a hypothetical question to you JJ; lets say you owned 100 acres someplace in mid central PA with the Marcellus shale vein (or whatever it is called) running right under your 100 acres. Lets also say that when Company XXX came around to solicit you for the future rights to dig they offered you $50,000 for the rights and told you that they had done extensive aerial photography of the area with all the latest and greatest sensing equipment and were convinced that a well on your property would yield you at least $500 per day, 365 days a year, year after year. Are you saying you would turn down $182,500 gross and say around $100K net per year??

I really don't think it is fair to say that only "thugs and thieves in high places will profit". I know of a number of people who are by no means thugs or thieves who have been told that gas is likely on their property and negotiations are underway. BTW the $500 per day is low one guy I know was told he would get at least $800 per day.

It is going to be very diificult for some folks who may actually live on the properties with gas potentials to turn down that kind of money.

#14 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

That would be a true test to one's commitment - Most of us will be presented with much smaller choices. Foe example, I have a client who is choosing to go with a much more expensive geo thermal heating system for his new home rather than a much cheaper start up natural gas hybrid system. His reason ? He doesn't want to be on or support the fracking energy chain - Many of us will be faced similar decisions in next few years. It's up to you -

#15 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:45 PM

In a document summarizing its findings, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation said:

“Based on unavoidable adverse environmental impacts and uncertainty regarding the science surrounding high-volume hydraulic fracturing and its potential impacts to public health and the environment, the Department finds that the best course of action is to select the No Action alternative. Selection of the No Action alternative means that…[fracking] will be prohibited in New York State.”

http://www.dec.ny.go...ergy/75370.html

Leif

#16 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

I'd like to pose a hypothetical question to you JJ; lets say you owned 100 acres someplace in mid central PA with the Marcellus shale vein (or whatever it is called) running right under your 100 acres. Lets also say that when Company XXX came around to solicit you for the future rights to dig they offered you $50,000 for the rights and told you that they had done extensive aerial photography of the area with all the latest and greatest sensing equipment and were convinced that a well on your property would yield you at least $500 per day, 365 days a year, year after year. Are you saying you would turn down $182,500 gross and say around $100K net per year??

I was bringing a customer back to his job a few weeks ago, he is a regular "good customer" who brings all his families cars to the shop. He also happens to work for the DRBC in West Trenton, 5 minutes from my job. The DRBC, among other things, plays the part of mediator in the fracking wars. In his words, we are an "unbiased mediator, and we work to make both parties satisfied". I expressed my distain for fracking on the ride back, and asked what happens if a landowner refused a pipeline running through his property? He said the property would be condemned. Condemned I asked? You would kick a landowner off his place because someone deemed it necessary? He scoffed at me and said "how are we to improve the infrastructure if things like that are shut off over one mans refusal to have the pipe run through his yard? I mentioned that since he cant see it from his house I guess it would be OK, but if it was running through his families yard how would he feel? He got quiet, and I felt a little bit of our friendship go away at that moment.

I couldn't be happier that NY chose this action, but it concerns me that so many stand to gain from this gas/drilling/fracking craze. You throw that much cash at most anyone and it really does test your faith. CJ

#17 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:34 AM

I'm in awe!..could you imagine otherwise?.. Them folks are still out there..never let your gsurd down!...BTW gorgeous weather and it was dead..honestly.. You or any trout unlimited/local chamber this or that...my advice is stock feeders with fry brookies once at least after climatic floods etc... Flick the crack bs too..I really hate this media gov. Bs too..they play us..truth is..fry brook trout should be gov concerns..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users