13 replies to this topic

#1 bouvier

bouvier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGilbertsville and points East

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Anything new on progress. Have they finished the Parksville / Cooley bypass?

#2 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationWoodsburgh, NY and Denning, NY

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

Soon... Any day now.... stimulus money hard at work for about 50 workers anyway spent 10's of millions of dollars on that, so they can play the interstate federal funds game a waste then a bigger waste... and so it goes by out elected officals really our fault we continue to elect the wrong people. Im as guilty as anyone.

#3 wtlovett

wtlovett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEmerson NJ

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:57 AM

Perhaps the EPA required that the bypass be constructed to protect the endangered "Parksville dust mite" which, although never seen, might dwell in the area. It's very hard to second-guess people that live on a higher intellectual level than we do.

#4 andy

andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationEastern Sussex county, NJ

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

IMHO, a simple overpass with an interchange would have served the purpose nicely and eliminated the huge expense and siltation of our rivers.

#5 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

Andy you aint seen nothn yet wait for the new overpass bridge over the Neversink. Its comming...

#6 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

I just came back, all the streams were way too high for me to attempt any flyfishing.. Now on topic, that ridiculous parksville reconstruction of a highway was a very very very big waiste of tax payers money.. I drove home over it today first time.. I can't see any benefits for commuters or the tax payers. That is unless you think burning more fuel to wheel a vehicle up on a mt pass and back down a longer route compared to the original rt 17 pass. Whoever was behind reconstructing that portion of highway should be imprisoned for life waisting our money like that. But that is just my opinion. Anyway, drive safe out there ..I hope next week fairs better for stream conditions.

#7 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

Perhaps the EPA required that the bypass be constructed to protect the endangered "Parksville dust mite" which, although never seen, might dwell in the area. It's very hard to second-guess people that live on a higher intellectual level than we do.

I knew there had to be a reason for all that construction, it might not be a bad idea to construct a rest stop on the top and an Eagle lookout center for tourists heading both direction

#8 CCerone

CCerone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

Heading East you can get on the bypass. Heading West was not open as of 9/10/11.

#9 JB

JB

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationTOMS RIVER, N.J.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

Ok everybody here is a bit of an explanation of what has taken place at Parksville.

The Traffic Signal/Intersection at Route 17 and Parksville-Cooley Rd is what is known as an
"at-grade intersection", the definition of such is as follows:

"An at-grade intersection is an area where two or more roadways join or cross. It also includes the roadside facilities for traffic movement within the area. Each intersection involves through or cross-traffic movements on one or more roadways and may involve turning movements between these roadways. The main objective of the intersection is to facilitate the convenience, ease, and comfort of people traversing the intersection while enhancing the safe and efficient movement of motor vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians. To accomplish this task, the intersection must have the capacity to handle all the volume of traffic flowing through it.

There are five basic elements to be considered in the design and operation of an intersection
Human factors
Traffic and safety considerations
Physical elements
Economic factors
Functional intersection area"
In locations where there are at-grade intersections (specifically in the Hale Eddy-Hancock and Parksville sections), grade separation structures will be constructed. New service roads will be constructed to serve local residences and businesses.

Now, I have never been privileged to look at any of the design documents for the construction at this "at grade intersection", BUT, I have been involved in "other" projects that had similar construction. For those of you who don't know, I have over 25 years of land surveying and construction surveying experience.

Many times the design of such roadways is dependent and influenced by many factors. Such as, "geology, environmental, federal and state wetlands mitigation, endangered species, land acquisition, line of sight, etc."
It is extremely rare to have a "signal-controlled intersection" on an Interstate Highway.

Like I said I have no knowledge of the "specific" design issues of this project, but it is not that all unusual to see this kind of road construction/design take place.

For me, I am more concerned about the future creation of I-86 becoming a Toll Road.

JB

P.S. As far as I am able to tell "Dust Mites" are not on the endangered species list! :-D :-D

#10 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:09 AM

I understood it was because of the existing traffic lights and not the endangered parksville dust mite. I hoping not to see any ugly Graffiti :?

#11 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

I understood it was because of the existing traffic lights and not the endangered parksville dust mite. I hoping not to see any ugly Graffiti :?

THE PARKSVILLE/COOLEY Bypass is a high profile way of pissing away tens of millions of stimulus money, so the Pols can tell everyone how they are improving our lives.To me its an embarrasment piss the money into the local school districts. these kids are our future. The bypass is just a future money grab of the federal funding for interstate 86. A huge and sad Joke. Another sad joke is the new exit 108 overpass. But wait they are building another overpass for the Neversink at Bridgeville. that should take 5-10 years to complete and cost only 100's of millions. what a waste. Remember the Walkill River overpass on 17, 3 years past due and 400% over estimated costs. Its our fault we continue to elect the wrong people Im as guilty as anyone...;(

#12 catskill mountain man

catskill mountain man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Locationwarwick, NY

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

THE PARKSVILLE/COOLEY Bypass is a high profile way of pissing away tens of millions of stimulus money, so the Pols can tell everyone how they are improving our lives.To me its an embarrasment piss the money into the local school districts. these kids are our future. The bypass is just a future money grab of the federal funding for interstate 86. A huge and sad Joke. Another sad joke is the new exit 108 overpass. But wait they are building another overpass for the Neversink at Bridgeville. that should take 5-10 years to complete and cost only 100's of millions. what a waste. Remember the Walkill River overpass on 17, 3 years past due and 400% over estimated costs. Its our fault we continue to elect the wrong people Im as guilty as anyone...;(

my father is a civil engineer and always says "that bridge took more money and alot longer than the george washington bridge did, what a waste

#13 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:45 AM

my father is a civil engineer and always says "that bridge took more money and alot longer than the george washington bridge did, what a waste

I never had a problem with the light or traffic on the road that was.. there was no traffic hazards or even traffic before :rolleyes: wait till you drives over this new pass:blink: you will know it was wasted money..:idea:.A-LOTS-A MONIES:razz:

#14 bouvier

bouvier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGilbertsville and points East

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Thanks form the up date. I for one will not miss the light at Parksville / coley. While stopped at the light at 2 AM on my way west we were nearly killed by a truck that for what ever reason just missed us by swerving at the last moment as he barreled thru the stop light. He nearly flipped but somehow became stable again and drove off without stopping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users