#1 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

I recently read on another site some reports of trout being caught in the Catskill rivers using spinning rods, lures, worms, ect. Some of the reports were quite impressive with dozens of fish being caught and large fish as well. Some fishing was done from drift boats some from shore.

Being a member of the other site, I commented that those catches were impressive, but didn't count because they weren't caught using a fly rod or fly.

Well to say the least there were a few that disagreed. Am I wrong? I think not. :twisted:

Leif

#2 tele-caster

tele-caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:40 PM

assuming the fish were caught legally, why wouldn't they 'count'?

tele.

#3 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

assuming the fish were caught legally, why wouldn't they 'count'?

tele.

I don't know. Maybe I am wrong. I just feel using a fly requires a little more effort. Anyone can cast a spinning rod, buy a spinner or other lure and catch a trout.

I say give the fish a chance and make it more sporting. Might sound crazy, but I think they deserve a little more respect. To me, it just doesn't seem right to catch them like that.

I feel the same way about using live bait for other species like stripers, ect. Really not much of a challenge.

Fished today in the surf using a fly rod for striped bass. Didn't catch any (others did) but I still enjoyed and when I do get one, I know it was on a fly I tied and the fish had a chance.

"Just cause you got the power, don't mean you got the right" (Lemmy Kilminster)

Leif

#4 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:00 PM

I don't know. Maybe I am wrong. I just feel using a fly requires a little more effort. Anyone can cast a spinning rod, buy a spinner or other lure and catch a trout.

I say give the fish a chance and make it more sporting. Might sound crazy, but I think they deserve a little more respect. To me, it just doesn't seem right to catch them like that.

I feel the same way about using live bait for other species like stripers, ect. Really not much of a challenge.

Fished today in the surf using a fly rod for striped bass. Didn't catch any (others did) but I still enjoyed and when I do get one, I know it was on a fly I tied and the fish had a chance.

"Just cause you got the power, don't mean you got the right" (Lemmy Kilminster)

Leif

I'm with that! Having fished all 3 methods (bait/spin/fly) as I'm sure virtually everyone on this forum has as well, it is obvious that flyfishing, by leaps and bounds, requires far more skill to catch trout than the other 2. Don't get me wrong: i'm not a snob, as I still have some buddies back home who are hard-core rednecks and still baitfish and I fish w/ them every year. Only difference is, I'm flyfishing!! :grin:

#5 tele-caster

tele-caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

i'm as fanatical a flyfisherman, as anyone i know ... but if someone prefers to share the water, and legally use a salted minnow mepps spinner, who am i to judge?

certainly, the TROUT don't much care either way - whether they ate a hook wrapped by a nightcrawler, or some pretty feathers ... tele.

#6 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationWoodsburgh, NY and Denning, NY

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

Lief
with no disrespect intended. your take on only fishing with a fly....is the cause of the age old agrument that fly fisherman are snobs. I'll leave it at that. Just info nothing intended.....
Its like saying only hunters with Parkers or Purdys or Churchhills or... are hunters. I hope the spin casters get the same pleasure from fishing you do, after all thats what its about as JB says its the manner in which we hunt. Its the Indian NOT the arrows.

#7 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:38 PM

i'm as fanatical a flyfisherman, as anyone i know ... but if someone prefers to share the water, and legally use a salted minnow mepps spinner, who am i to judge?

certainly, the TROUT don't much care either way - whether they ate a hook wrapped by a nightcrawler, or some pretty feathers ... tele.

I agree with tele and nc that as long as it is legal fishing, we need to respect those who support the program. For me on the trout streams, I prefer flyfishing on the no-kills and outside no kill sections, I generally stick to fly fishing on all but the lakes with the exception of high stream flows and turbid water conditions or very windy days when casting a fly is impossible.

#8 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:20 PM

Ok, Thanks for the replies. Enough said. I am so snob and no judge. Just never shy about saying what I think.

Speaking of snobs, which I am not, My first fly reel was bought in Roscoe. It was $10.00 and the Kunan rod was $3.00. That was 1979.( caught my biggest trout on it, a 24 incher in the Beaverkill. I fished that rod and reel till I was 30. Before that I used my dads 1492 medalist and golden fraster fiberglass fly rod till I was 13.

After that I bought an Orvis rod. Far and Fine combo that I worked OT for and used that for 10 years until I I got my Lamson 1.5 for $200.00 that I still use to this day. (I know guys that have $1,000.00 spinning reels and $700.00 fly reels and they can't fish)

You'll see it at the challenge if you go. My son is using my old rod. I tie my own flies and never spent more tha 199.00 for a pair of waders. If that makes me a snob, then I am a snob.

To each his own.

Leif

#9 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:23 PM

Ok, Thanks for the replies. Enough said. I am so snob and no judge. Just never shy about saying what I think.

Speaking of snobs, which I am not, My first fly reel was bought in Roscoe. It was $10.00 and the Kunan rod was $3.00. That was 1979.( caught my biggest trout on it, a 24 incher in the Beaverkill. I fished that rod and reel till I was 30. Before that I used my dads 1492 medalist and golden fraster fiberglass fly rod till I was 13.

After that I bought an Orvis rod. Far and Fine combo that I worked OT for and used that for 10 years until I I got my Lamson 1.5 for $200.00 that I still use to this day. (I know guys that have $1,000.00 spinning reels and $700.00 fly reels and they can't fish)

You'll see it at the challenge if you go. My son is using my old rod. I tie my own flies and never spent more tha 199.00 for a pair of waders. If that makes me a snob, then I am a snob.

To each his own.

Leif

#10 JB

JB

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationTOMS RIVER, N.J.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:26 PM

I recently read on another site some reports of trout being caught in the Catskill rivers using spinning rods, lures, worms, ect. Some of the reports were quite impressive with dozens of fish being caught and large fish as well. Some fishing was done from drift boats some from shore.

Being a member of the other site, I commented that those catches were impressive, but didn't count because they weren't caught using a fly rod or fly.

Well to say the least there were a few that disagreed. Am I wrong? I think not. :twisted:

Leif

"Does it count?" To those who do it, I suppose it does.

But I feel sorry for the poor bastards, after all they don't know what they are missing out on, sans fly!

But, they are having fun I suppose and that's what this is all about!

JB

P.S. When it comes to being a snob, sign me up! Fly Fishing RULES!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: :grin: 8-) 8-)

#11 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

Just remember I'm the biggest snob here:grin:

#12 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

"Does it count?" To those who do it, I suppose it does.

But I feel sorry for the poor bastards, after all they don't know what they are missing out on, sans fly!

But, they are having fun I suppose and that's what this is all about!

JB

P.S. When it comes to being a snob, sign me up! Fly Fishing RULES!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: :grin: 8-) 8-)

l'ignorance est une bénédiction!

Posted Image
Leif

#13 JB

JB

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationTOMS RIVER, N.J.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

l'ignorance est une bénédiction!

Leif

Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."

JB

#14 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Lpette,

I don't count any bait caught fish myself. I consider myself a fly fisher, but I spinfish at my
local pond with my spin buddies. All fish I catch I give away to my friends or return to water if unharmed.
BUT I don't really tell any of my flyfish buddies about it LOL

#15 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

Lpette,

I don't count any bait caught fish myself. I consider myself a fly fisher, but I spinfish at my
local pond with my spin buddies. All fish I catch I give away to my friends or return to water if unharmed.
BUT I don't really tell any of my flyfish buddies about it LOL

Took awhile but , I am going to congratulate GaryB for sharing with the group his "personal battle with the darkside" hehehe, :smile: hey now , next session, I'll bring in the photo projector so that we can visually see the big picture and at the end we will have a quick quiz and hopefully be done within the hour. class dismissed:blink:if you will Ipette,, I would like to have a minute with you before leaving.. just so you know, It takes time and I believe we all here understand your frustration and that is why we as a group. :roll:

#16 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

Can't bring myself to bait/spin for trout any more at all.If I'm not flyfishin' for 'em, i'm not fishin for 'em!!However, I regularly spin for pike, pickerel, walleye and sometimes bass as they are less worthy fish (except maybe the walleye!!) :wink: :wink:

#17 dapping

dapping

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

Can't bring myself to bait/spin for trout any more at all.If I'm not flyfishin' for 'em, i'm not fishin for 'em!!However, I regularly spin for pike, pickerel, walleye and sometimes bass as they are less worthy fish (except maybe the walleye!!) :wink: :wink:

How are pike unworthy? I'd take fly fishing for pike over stocked trout anyday...no contest. Have you ever seen a pike explode on the surface to a popper?

#18 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

Well it sure is looking like a yoohoo September for most my favorite haunts.. NC you might want to take Dappings pointers and try a pike on a fly! lol.. my Gosh, I don't know any public waters in the catskills that offer northerns .. I am sure there must be NPK in private impoundments. I know one with huge eye but than again this is a fly fishing site. And jigheads and balsalm probably don't count either..lol. oh well, going to a rare card game gathering with old time friends.. I will probablt be the only fly fisherman there.. wish it were better stream conditions for Sunday but doubt I'm going FF this weekend. I'm going recommend this fine pass-time to anyone interested at this card game too.Wishing NC and everybody a better late September:smile:

#19 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

dapping;

I absolutely have and enjoy fishing for pike very much in fact. Where I grew up uptate, there are tons of pike and I've fished for them almost as long as i've fished for trout. All I'm saying is, they're much more aggressive than trout, kinda like bass, and thus, are much easier to catch IMHO. Sure, they are also much stronger and bigger so chances of breakoffs are greater maybe but overall, if you go fishing for pike and pike are there, you're probably at least gonna get 1, if not several. That is not always the case for trout unfortunately, as we all know!!

#20 steeliejim

steeliejim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

I strongly disagree that anyone can cacth fish on spinning tackle. No matter the method, the 10/90 rule applies. I've seen most spin fishermen struggle to catch fresh stockies.

You must learn to read the water in order to be succesful time after time. Not to mention how to get a good drift. Anybody can get lucky once in a while.

I fish mostly bait, sometimes lures, and most recently I've really gotten hooked on fishing micro jigs in wooly buggers and such.

There are good in bad in all fishermen.

Just have fun. Life is short. Fish as much as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users