JB

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationTOMS RIVER, N.J.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

From the Ozark Fly Fisher Journal:

"SADLY our, friend Mark Romero has passed. He leaves the fly fishing world poorer for his departure.

Our condolences and prayers go out to Misako Ishimura at this time. There will be a hole at Sowbug later this week and for years to come.

Mark and I weren’t close friends, but we enjoyed lengthy conversations irregularly, you would know he had arrived though the sudden shockingly loud burst of jazz when he pulled in. There is no disrespect when I say Mark could be an acquired taste: abrasive, opinionated, intense, and never afraid to butt heads Mark often reminded me of a stereotypical East Coaster, and just as typically there was a soft heart for those he thought well of, or wanted to help.

He did plenty to drive our Tiffany Johnson Tye-A-Thon Benefit, and though I’ll admit at the time I was pulling my hair out, later would look back and laugh. Mark just wanted things to be perfect. And there was no mistaking his passion for fly tying in particular, but for music, fly fishing and getting kids fishing as well.

He was one of a kind."

#2 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

I got to know him thru another site and spoke with at some shows. He was a character and a good man.

#3 mikgaes

mikgaes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDutchess County, NY

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Funny story about Mark.

Several years back I had taken a spring week of vacation to fish the Catskills. I had only been fishing there for 2 or 3 years and was still feeling the place out. I took a room at the Rockland house because it was cheap and convenient to everywhere I wanted to fish. One night after a long day of fishing I ambled up to the bar at the Rockland house and ordered a steak and a beer. Sitting next to me was a guy who struck up a conversation with me. He was opinionated and open about all things fishing. A little bit of an odd-bird I first thought. He invited me back to his Roscoe home (which I believe is now for sale). I saw the roosters he was raising for their capes and into the garage he converted into a fly-tying cave. He gave me two fox faces which I think I still have. A nicer guy you couldn't meet.

And it's funny to see this today as yesterday was my first day of the season in the Catskills. Having heard he moved to Arkansas, I wondered if he returned because I saw a car parked at Hazel Bridge with Arkansas plates on it. Guess not.

RIP.

#4 Ron`

Ron`

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationOrangeville, PA (Fishing Creek)

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

I have been off the grid for about 40 days and am very sorry to read this. RIP Mark. We all will miss him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users