Photo

What Are They Going To Come Up With Next ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

A friend pointed this out to me on this morning - Just when you think the fly fishing industry might be running thin on new questionable gizmos or fresh copy for yet another new version of yesterday's rods and reels
( yes, granted there are innovations periodically), Jesse James the cable TV builder of choppers and media enfant terrible is now in the business of making and marketing fly reels. Models are available in a variety of designs, replete with spider web motifs on spools and housings, as well as Iron Crosses and Spiders on the spindle caps. If you are one who finds your fly fishing inspiration based from the likes of the Adams Family and the Third Reich, better pause and take measure before running out to snatch one up - the price points on these babies run from $300 to $525 a pop. I guess this is just one more thing to remind me I'm getting old and out of it, but personally I'd be headed to our host in Roscoe and checking out The House of Hardy if I was thinking of dropping serious bucks on a really fine fly reel and get one of proven quality. Heck, for another buck and a half you could splurge and get a Peerless in dangerous black. Just makes you wonder what's next in ff tackle from celeb marketing ? -

#2 mikgaes

mikgaes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDutchess County, NY

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

My father always told me the purpose of the reel in fly-fishing was just to hold the line. The quality of the rod is important. The reel much less so. I will never spend that kind of money on a fly-fishing reel.

#3 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationWoodsburgh, NY and Denning, NY

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

A friend pointed this out to me on this morning - Just when you think the fly fishing industry might be running thin on new questionable gizmos or fresh copy for yet another new version of yesterday's rods and reels
( yes, granted there are innovations periodically), Jesse James the cable TV builder of choppers and media enfant terrible is now in the business of making and marketing fly reels. Models are available in a variety of designs, replete with spider web motifs on spools and housings, as well as Iron Crosses and Spiders on the spindle caps. If you are one who finds your fly fishing inspiration based from the likes of the Adams Family and the Third Reich, better pause and take measure before running out to snatch one up - the price points on these babies run from $300 to $525 a pop. I guess this is just one more thing to remind me I'm getting old and out of it, but personally I'd be headed to our host in Roscoe and checking out The House of Hardy if I was thinking of dropping serious bucks on a really fine fly reel and get one of proven quality. Heck, for another buck and a half you could splurge and get a Peerless in dangerous black. Just makes you wonder what's next in ff tackle from celeb marketing ? -

most of the "poo-poo" we buy is meant to catch fisherman NOT fish. Lighter, faster, more powerful. If you need a fly fish reel with a spider or Iron cross on/in it you have deeper issues than fly fishing can solve...And on the HARDY you get a liftime garantee, which Irecently used on a reel than was my Dad's from about 1950, they took it in a rebuilt the drag, and seem to have steamed clean it???/WOW-Cool Beans:):):)Another satisfied customer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users