#1 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

It is on the news now! We need rain and los of it!

#2 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Fer sure!! Anyone wanna speculate whether this is related to global warming or not? :razz: :razz:

#3 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

We can't stop the climate change regardless if it is manmade or not. Obamers and the like just want "CONTROL"and fracking would cost tax payers more and in the short run endangering the common as well as the environment where these frackers propose to save us from climate change and other bs.. the Chinese will burn coal more than any fossil fuel regardless, NC, I enjoy each day like there is no tomorrow..

#4 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

You got that right JJ baby!! :razz:

#5 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

We probably can't stop it now - But we should at least try for our kid's sake. The world has had 30 years to try to scrape up the political will and still nada
Global Climate Change is no longer a matter of belief - Hard numbers are coming in and it's now fact. Some countries like Germany are actually making a significant dent in their emmissions. It's not a control issue with Obama - He's just too scared in an election year to speak up with the will of his convictions and Romney is just as bad or even worst- I don't want to even think about the Stream Report for July of 2024

#6 dennismueller60

dennismueller60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationHopewell, NJ

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

It is now over 30 years since the first published reports of CO2 caused global warming and the temperature trends are pretty much in the middle of those projected increases. There are still details of the models to quibble about, but basically the major driving term, the increase in CO2 remains and is still increasing. It would take decades for CO2 levels to fall back to 1950s levels even if magically we stopped burning oil, coal, and natural gas. (Everyone seems to have fixated on coal since it emits CO2 as its primary effluent, but so do oil and natural gas, they simply emit H2O in addition to CO2, but still enough CO2 to be a major problem). There is no way to stop CO2 emission, only ways to slow the increase. It is not entirely clear right now that any of the green technologies are much of a win. Ethanol consumes more energy from oil than is returned as useable energy in ethanol, the manufacturing of solar panels consumes a good fraction of the energy they will produce over their lifetimes and right now most of that energy comes from either coal or oil, wind power is a net win, but due to distribution and infrastructure problems, it will likely never exceed a few percent. Only Nuclear fission works and does not produce CO2, but it has its own set if issues, mostly dealing with safety, waste disposal and if a large increase should happen, fuel will become an issue (breeder reactors are still not well enough developed to be relied upon).
We probably should do what we can do reduce CO2 emission, but we have to be realistic in admitting that it will not be enough to stop the ever increasing warming. How much pain we should suffer in the form of increased energy costs compared to reducing the pain of increased warming is a political and economic argument that can have its parameters made more clear by paying attention to what the models tell us. Conservation/energy efficiency have made significant progress in the developed world, a major reason oil imports to the US have not skyrocketed. The biggest reason Germany is doing so well (they buy their solar panels from China which burns coal to make the panels, so they also transferred some of their emissions to China) but the German goal is at least as much to replace nuclear power as it is to reduce CO2.
For its part China is beginning to formulate plans to reduce CO2 emissions, but it faces even more stark economic considerations than the US or Europe.
I am not hopeful.

#7 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Well Said - I am not hopeful either - If you want to get really depressed, check out Bill Mckibbon's article "Global Warming's Terrifying New Math" in the recent Rolling Stone.

#8 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

Dennis;

VERY well said and impressive! You obviously read up on this topic a bit! I'm interested in what you say about energy required from fossil fuels to produce "green" products such as solar panels. Where did you get your info, do you remember? I would like to read more on that myself.

Thanks,

NCMan

#9 Allan

Allan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationElmira, NY

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

Interesting how the 'Global Warming' is thought to be an annual event. Also interesting is how, a mere 37 years ago, there were a scientific backed theory that a 'Global Iceage' was upon us. It was such a 'respected theory' that Newsweek magazine devoted a good part of an issue to the subject.

http://denisdutton.c...oling_world.htm

Allan

#10 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

Can't we just blame China and sue them or somthing for using stuff we are not using anymore? Why can't they just cooperate? we spend all this money verifying all this scifi study and even with broadband communications they just keep polluting our ozone.I'm going to type in google toolbar " why is China not our friends" bbl :mrgreen:

#11 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

I ended up finding this link to share but for some reason, there is nothing connecting China for this http://www.usatoday....vers/56859874/1

#12 xilinx_altera

xilinx_altera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

CO2 emissions are highly correlated with solar flare emissions from the sun.

Mankind's industrial production adds a grain of sand compared to what solar flare emissions cause, also, a volcanic eruption dwarfs all of mankinds CO2 emissions.

Al Gore is a tool.

#13 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

By the time we realize the truth, we won't need to figure it out.

#14 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

Whats the problem with realization of the so called truth? It's all there - Exxon,Shell,BP,Chesapeake Energy,Bechtel and the rest of the
gang are counting on your and our indifference. You like encountering trout in clean water? Most members of the gang mentioned could care
less, unless it happens to do with their little stretch of private water. Short reading list for enlightenment (obvious stuff)- Edward Abbey, Henry David Thoreau, John Muir, John Burroughs and on and on. Get with it -

#15 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

who you going to sue the government? Just heard on a radio our government has the authority now to murder unsuspecting Americans at will !

#16 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:04 AM

jewitt, in truth the nature of most is to " follow the money" I ccan not stand people like that.. it is why we are all witnessing our country's demise.. the accidents of exxon ..the BP the accident....the accident attacking iraq and having now to try and control or police third world threats etc.. on and on.. it is about big money and most follow it jmho

#17 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

JJ - I obviously don't have a bone to pick with you - My meaning was, that with regards to environmental and associated global warming issues, I no longer see it in ambiguous terms. It's pretty clear to me who the bad guys are. As Abbey called it "the mega machine" or as the late president Dwight Eisenhower warned - "In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist." Ole Dwight was hardly what you would call a hippie. In terms of following the money, we all have to do that to survive and do it in a manner that we can live with. Maybe it's worshiping money as opposed to following it that's the problem in our culture.By "get with it" I meant to say, stay informed and speak out whenever it's productive. Sounds like your already there. One of the interesting things about fly fishing is that if you spend large amounts of time thigh deep in water in beautiful places, it can take you into many other subjects and concerns as well as actual fishing. Environmental issues and politics being just one of many.

#18 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

Well stated jewett, my meaning was that of yours , I am sure we all share that same peace of mind. Let us hope and pray for good leadership next term, this one obviously is a mess :mrgreen:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users