northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

Guys;

Was wondering if anybody knows anyone or they themselves may have a 55 gal aquarium tank? I'm a teacher and am trying to start a trout in the class room program for my conservation class.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Northcountryman

#2 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationWoodsburgh, NY and Denning, NY

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

bass would be a much more tolerble fish to raise in such a controlled environment.

#3 tele-caster

tele-caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

TU has a program called 'trout in the classroom' ... you may wish to contact your local chapter, for info and possible sponsors ... fingerling trout are relatively easy to keep, and will learn to eat pellets ... they are pretty, lightening fast, and have 'personality' ... rainbows are better 'pets' than browns, which will eat anything that fits in their mouths ... i have no experience with brookies ... thing is, the water needs to be cool, and unless you have an expensive chiller, or can keep adding ice, the fish will die at 70 degrees or so ... it happens fast ...

the NY DEC has come down hard on hatcheries, ever since sick fish ( VHS disease ) were found in raceways a few years ago, and you may need a permit to legally buy fingerlings from a private or state hatchery ... there was an effort to make the VHS-free certification process easier & less expensive, but the last news i heard is a few years old ... it may be technically illegal to keep wild-caught trout in a tank, if you took the 'bucket biologist' route ...

bass and panfish are super easy to keep, as are catfish ... and i have heard that pickerel make good pets, too ...

good luck ... tele.

tele

#4 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

My son's science teacher did the trout in the tank project a few years back and it was a raving success with the kids. I had fun as well helping him on his project. Good call on a class room activity. If I'm not mistaken, "Elmer" the trout was released into the Bataviakill upon the comclusion of the project.

#5 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

UIJ;

Nice to hear, and I hope mine is a success as well!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users