#1 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Well - It's about that time of the year, when you go outside and gather up some logs for the fire and and hear the coyotes making a racket that seems perhaps a bit too close than usual, that makes you and the dog (Old smart dog who runs right in upon the Coyote noise) snap back in the house a bit quicker than usual and gather your self up in your favorite comfy chair or couch and get your music just right. Then, if your lucky and domestic circumstances are with you, you can actually reach down and grab that book you have waiting to get into and gaze over at the fire.....
What titles are you folks into ? Myself, I've never gotten around to reading Charles Ritz's A Fly Fishers Life. So I'm looking for a copy of that at the moment. What's the vibe out there on Fly Fishing Literature ? - I hope there is one

#2 Allan

Allan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationElmira, NY

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi 'up',

The Ritz book is an excellent read. Personally I've just read a few books and all 3 are about the US Army Special Forces (Green Berets). THE OUTPOST by Jake Tapper (excellent but sickening at the same time), CHOSEN SOLDIER by Dick Couch (the making of a Green Beret), and GUERRILLA FACTORY by Tony Schwamm (the making of a Green Beret officer).
I think I'll reread THE COMPLETE FLY FISHERMAN - Notes and Letters of Theodore Gordon, starting next week. I've read it a few times and always find something inew and nteresting that I missed in previous reads. Another book worth rereading is UPSTREAM DOWNSTREAM, OLD STONEY.

Allan

#3 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Allan, Thanks for the suggestions. With regards to military reads, I just read Sebastian Junger's War. (Perfect Storm author.) That one put's you right in the Korangal valley with a platoon of guys, who are dealing with all manner of issues.

#4 mongaup bob

mongaup bob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGlen Spey n.y

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

The upriver downstream book edited by Stephen Saunter is a good read, he is more or less a local boy from jersey who fishies the catskills and the mongaup. If anybody needs a copy feel free to e-mail me and i'll give you his e-mail..

#5 tele-caster

tele-caster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

not literature, per se ... but, i just got shane stalcup's 'mayflies top to bottom' ... thinking it was more about bugs than tying, i was at first a little disappointed with it ... but, after a few more looks, there is alot of info and insight into tying techniques that i would otherwise probably never figure out on my own, and am anxious to try my hand at ... ofcourse, when i actually get to the water, i end up using the same 3 or 4 tried & true patterns, anyway ... tele.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users