#1 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Marketing products like those annoying infommercials looking to profit new gadgits has always been a good quick rich strategy.. we see this more today on all these tv broadband channels we unwittedly subscribe to ,reserved especially for Saturday morning..lol.. Any my point is this,, Why sell a boot claimed to help prevent molecuar sized algeas or micro organisms or invasive inverabrates ..seeds eggs coming in from all over our inhabited planet for more money than a safer designed felt sole wading boot? I honestly don't care to contribute to the concept of Marketers such (snake oil salesmen scam concepts) If the DEC or any concerned branch of government wanted to help these concerns ,, instead of trying to prove such threats exist,, might it be in their hearts or even wise to sell the newer (slippery unsafe feltless bio harzardless whatever sole rubber boots for less? Perhaps I would opt than for feltless instead and than the concerned environmentalists as well as people like me who know well enough? Just my honest thoughts, I wanted to get this off my feet lol.. peace, jj

#2 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Well JJ just my opinion but invasive species are apparently very easy to spread and they have. The east and west have plenty of areas of rock snot, the Farmington river in its upper reaches also has been contaminated. I know there are other factors in the spread of invasive stuff but the one that I can control is on my feet or body. Last year I decided to go with Simms rubber with studs. I still hose them off after use but they clean up much quicker than felts. Not fond of bleaching everything my concern there is shorteng the life of the product. One more thing I bought the wading shoes with the speed crank not sure what Simms calls it and love it. Fast and easy and hopefully durable. Have a good day and season.
Gene

#3 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Not knowing who is right or wrong on the contamination issue, I will say this, I have a pair of boot foot and stocking foot waders with the
easy on boot on the stocking foot both with the new soles and the new and much improved cleats/spikes or whatever you would like to call them. It comes down to trying to keep our waters safe from unwanted outside influences and just as important keeping yourself safe, felt with or without spikes can't come close to the safety of the new products. Worth every extra penny.

#4 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Agree with both replies but, my meaning was, why don't they sell the feltless boots cheaper so that everybody thinking of buying new wading boots buy the eco friendly boots? If it is such a dreadful concern, why not offer a coupon discount for trade-in felt soles when going with feltless ?

#5 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Not knowing who is right or wrong on the contamination issue, I will say this, I have a pair of boot foot and stocking foot waders with the
easy on boot on the stocking foot both with the new soles and the new and much improved cleats/spikes or whatever you would like to call them. It comes down to trying to keep our waters safe from unwanted outside influences and just as important keeping yourself safe, felt with or without spikes can't come close to the safety of the new products. Worth every extra penny.

Don't understand your post, are you saying the newer rubber soled boots even without the cleats are better than felt ?
Better meaning less slippage on rocks,etc.
I'm thinking of getting the newer rubber with cleats, just not sure about getting off the felt. Also I don't really believe
the rubber sole boots have that much area overall different than felt for carrying didymo, outside of the soles they are the same.

#6 RMP

RMP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNJ, PA, NY

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Unfortunately, just like everything new that hits the market, we the consumers seem to pay the price for the "research and development" or "R & D" of that new product. Then they will lower the price when the next "new and improved" model comes around.
Personally I'm not any more satisfied with the new Vibram "Stream Tread" soles than I am with felt because they seem to wear down just as quickly according to my observation. The carbide studs also seem to wear fast making it worse than not having them at all. Worn down studs is like having ice skates on your feet when walking over large rocks so check them after each outing. I only got one season out of my Simms Stream Tread guide boots and the carbide studs had to be replaced in the middle of the season. Then I saw that Simms reintroduced felt bottom boots which I purchased recently. Not sure if it's improved or not but the felt is now black instead of the old white felt.
I will be using the new felts at my local stream that I fish regularly and use my Stream Tread pair when traveling because they are easier to clean (decontaminate) and dry,

#7 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

See I suspected that about them feltless soles, I thought soft sticky rubber would definitely wear away it's so called special slip proof feature..which than would ultimating cause me to slip and perhaps even endanger my life in a strong stream.. I tell you this, I'm buying felt again.. If they introduced these feltless soles at even half the price of felt and I injured myself trusting they are similar in safety to felt grip soles.. I'd hire the best attorney and go after those responsible ,, maybe that is why the state doesn't put it in thier rule book. Either way, I'm going with the felts again. And to end this here, I am not a believer if they ever decided to outlaw felt soles , that any such rule will slow the spread of existing invasive species already in our drinks. Ducks geese and just about any critter can easily be responsible for the migration of aquatic invasive species. I'll have two pair of felts now.. use the clorox 2 oz per gallon .. fill a spray bottle and do my best.

#8 RMP

RMP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNJ, PA, NY

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

The "Stream Tread" was made for traveling anglers so they don't carry invasive didymo from one body of water and infect another. It is not a bad product and does what it's supposed to do when used and cleaned properly. I fish over 150 days a year in a stream that is very rocky and my boots take a beating climbing over boulders and rough terrrain. I don't think even my felt boots really last that much longer than the streamtread. As usual most of the wear is in the toe area and around the edges. I tried concentrating the carbide studs in these wear areas to help make them last longer. But don't use too many studs because that makes them more slippery than using less studs believe it or not.
As felt wears there is always felt until there is no more and you hit the under sole. But with the Stream Tread, the lugs wear down flat and thats it, you are left with a smooth gummy rubber sole with no more tread or the lugs are worn to smooth bumps making them less effective. Of course, how long your boots will last depends on the kind of terrain you are exposing them to and how much you use them.

#9 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

do you guys ever service your equipment, do you wash your waders? Clean your fly lines, check your cleats, replace the worn ones,
check the soles of your boot for crackes etc., do you run the tires on your cars down to the cord? Flat fact, now listen to this,
the new technology is better for our streams, and better and safer then felt, weather the felt has spikes or not, the new soles with the new spikes are a much butter product for our streams and our safety,, and eventually NYS will ban felt, and since buying the new product now instead of later it will most likely cost more and so what if it does, it is a better product,, and unless you fish 10 hours a day from day one to closing the rubber soles or vibrum soles or whatever the brand name will last longer then felt,,

#10 RMP

RMP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNJ, PA, NY

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

do you guys ever service your equipment (yes), do you wash your waders? (yes) Clean your fly lines (yes), check your cleats (yes), replace the worn ones (always),
check the soles of your boot for crackes etc. (yes), do you run the tires on your cars down to the cord? (never, not even the steel belts) Flat fact, now listen to this (all ears),
the new technology is better for our streams (true), and better and safer then felt (debatable), weather (see your local forecast)) the felt has spikes or not, the new soles with the new spikes are a much butter (a dairy product great on toast) product for our streams (true) and our safety (debatable),, and eventually NYS will ban felt, and since buying the new product now instead of later it will most likely cost more and so what if it does (I've got money to burn), it is a better product (in some instances),, and unless you fish 10 hours a day (sometimes) from day one to closing (no closing here, year round fishing for me) the rubber soles or vibrum soles or whatever the brand name (Vibram Stream Tread to be exact...amongst other brands) will last longer then felt, (so far proved false but still testing that assumption),
:razz:

I think we all can still have fun with this sport and not take everything too seriously. How did we ever survive the old rubber lug/wader era?

#11 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

very good, very funny, I loved it, but---butter you fall down then me.

#12 RMP

RMP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNJ, PA, NY

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

very good, very funny, I loved it, but---butter you fall down then me.

I fall just as much with Stream Tread as I do with felt bottoms (which hasn't been in quite awhile knock on wood). But I'll have to blame the beer and Jameson for that. :razz: I will say that the Vibram Stream Tread has better traction than felt (with no cleats) when walking up slick muddy banks.

#13 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

What makes it all the worse, Simms has them made in China.. I'm sending the ones back I just bought.. I compared the new simms to my old felts and they do not look as well constructed. I;m not happy about 110.00 for headwater boot by simms made in china. the tongue and everything is thin nothing padded like the ones i bought many seasons ago that are still okay.. I'm sending these new simms made in china back for a refund.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users