#1 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

What do you guys like for Beetle patterns ? - I like Peacock Herl with a Blk foam body and a few legs and a dot of fluorescent orange or yellow on the back for sighting - My problem is seeing the d^%$$@ thing once it's in the water - dot of paint or not -

#2 Allan

Allan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationElmira, NY

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Crowe Beetle.

#3 Limestoner

Limestoner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, like Allan, I like the crowe beetle too. Only problems with the pattern are (1) unless they're 14 or larger, they're well nigh invisible on the water, and (2) once a decent fish eats one, the fly is generally all chewed to hell; but on the other hand, they're a fast and simple tie.

#4 Allan

Allan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationElmira, NY

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

You can always add a tiny piece of fluorescent 'wing' or 'shoulder' (whatever you want to call it) at the tie off point. Salmon egg material works well. It will make the fly easier for you to see but won't effect the cast or the float, and not be visible by the trout.

#5 jerseyjohn

jerseyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:43 AM

upinjewett, I first want to admit I do not tie (YET) lol.. but all the store bought flies with peacock (even in the darkest of nights) work well in my own experience. edit.. BTW you have any pics of green tensil & black woolies for a starlight August night ?.. I want to tty that this August!

#6 MER

MER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

Last weekend , on the water , i saw bettles with a very bright , what I would call "electric green" abdomen and a black shell. 

Have been working on how to get the body done , but thought perhaps one of you would have a suggestion. 

I would like to use a very hot green tinsel . The problem is the foam . I did try to tie in the foam the usual way , which is , cut a point and tie is in at the bend. But of course when you try to tie in the tinsel , that creates a messy bump. My next thought is to tie in the foam at the head and try to tie down the bend creating a smooth a body as possible . 

in the meantime , anyone have a good idea as to how to get a smooth tinsel body and still tie on a foam shell ? 

m

#7 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:24 AM

I just ran into the "Beefcake Beetle" online. That looks very promising - It has an "electric green" underside. It's one of the more elaborate ties I've seen for a Beetle, but Heck, It's all foam and rubber legs, so no big deal. The knots on the rubber legs were a nice touch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users