4 replies to this topic

#1 BillyG

BillyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTarzana,Ca

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

I'm considering moving from So Cal back to New York,specifically back to the Catskills.  I grew up in the Bronx and spent my first eleven summers in Hunter,Ny.  I've been in So Cal for over 40 years now and I dream of the Catskills day and night.lol.

It was my hope that someone here might know someone who has a rental house or property available for yearly lease.  Looking for a 2 bedroom,2 bathroom place in Hunter,Tannersville,Lexington,Phoenicia,etc.  I might even consider moving closer to Roscoe but would prefer Greene County. 

Also, does anyone have an idea of rental rates for annual rentals.  I would prefer to gather some info before talking to any real estate agents.

thanks for any help,

Bill

#2 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

I don't but I wish you luck.  It is time to come back to your roots!!

NCMan

#3 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

BillyG., considering you lived up there in the past, it should be easier for you to find your roots .. I know you will have no problem finding a good rental. Many signs I see across from some of the best trout streams the Catskills has to offer ( so many available along the headwaters of the Delaware river basin.

#4 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

Hey Billy - I'm 10 min from Hunter and am constantly riding around the area you mentioned. Most areas of Catskill real estate are still a buyers market. I'll PM you, if I see anything. Having said that, as much as I like this area, there are definitely down sides. Winters here, depending on the year, can be long and depressing and that's coming from someone who snow shoes and embraces the season. Nothing like southern California, as I'm sure you know. It sounds like your probably at the point in life where you might be retired or soon to be and on a fixed income, if that's the case - fine; if not, depending on one's vocation, making a living up here can be challenging at best. Basic services like a near by hospital that you would actually want to go too are questionable. Schools, if that's an issue are case by case, some OK and most dreadful, in terms of providing a kid an education that meets the demands of today's world. There's a prevailing good ol'e boy attitude about anything civic or for that matter anything else, that's of the "good enough" school of thought that perpetuates ignorance and complacency. Finally, the area you mentioned around here (Greene County), has been ravaged by flooding the last 15 or so years, making too many sections of streams and adjacent real estate quiet a mess. Fifty year, Hundred year and even Two Hundred year floods are meaningless terms now. ( careful with flood maps and real estate) We all know people tend to look back at things through rose colored glasses, but all the serious fly fishermen who I know, all assure me Schoharie Creek just isn't the water it used to be twenty years ago, in terms of fish and bugs. Apologies to the Greene County Chamber of Commerce, but that's how I see it. If you really want to spend quality time fly fishing and less time driving, I would seriously consider the Roscoe Area/ Hancock Area. Having said the above, I could still see a good fit for some one here, given the right conditions, needs and specific location. 

#5 BillyG

BillyG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTarzana,Ca

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

A heartfelt thank you for the replies.  Upinjewett, thank you for the detailed info on Greene County. You raised many important points about some of the disadvantages of living in Greene County or similar parts of the Catskills.  Definite food for thought. 

Though I've been gone for many years I have visited often enough and seen the  serious decline and seemingly small rebirth of the area. Perhaps all those storms and floods have destroyed the rebirth.  No doubt the winters are brutal compared to our winters in So Cal.  Heck , I wear a down jacket when it's 50 degrees out.lol. However, I'm ready to attempt at least one full year in the Catskills to see if I can handle the winters. Guess I'm wearing rose colored glasses; my heart never left the place.

thanks again,

Bill

ps:pm sent to Upinjewett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users