7 replies to this topic

#1 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

I think I am pretty good at tying small flies at least down to #24 anyway, I usually do a post indicator on a scud hook in all different patterns and body materials.  Fish them when by themselves usually and sometimes behind an indicator, non the less here is the question:

Last night size and color dictated a size #24 bwo emerger parachute - it was late - cast out and said wow I can really see that thing I wonder why - I didn't size the post so it was longer than usual - now I left it alone and did not catch a fish but wondered if it would make any difference - I usually size to body length - this was at least two times the body - what's your take on this?

#2 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

well, I've tried, maybe if I asked where I could get a good cup of coffee or maybe if I said how excited I was

about my new wading pants I would have gotten a response but I guess my question was just to stupid to warrant

an opinion - oh - maybe I should send a video of my stream exploits so everyone can see what a great fisherman I am.

#3 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Dude relax and chill. I personally think the post had nothing to do with going fishless. Probably eating something else. We're the rises sips or splashy? Rarely is a splashy rise to a small BWO.i usually check bugs and rise forms. Good luck and have fun.
Gene

#4 RMP

RMP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNJ, PA, NY

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

I always tie on the smallest post I can get away with.  Two times the body length seems way too much.  Too much post can make the fly look more unnatural or make the fly not sit right on the water.  Sometimes the less you put on the fly the less the fish have to refuse.  What kind of post material are you using?

#5 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

thanks RMP, I usually use z-lon in white or sometimes orange (night), I do keep the post low

I was just wondering about tying it a bit higher for visibility (age) reasons, but I appreciate your opinion

and will back off and keep the correct height.

#6 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

I think you can get away with a longer post just don't get crazy. I was fishing with an English tyer one day up in the Catskills and

the iso patterns he gave me to use had posts at least an inch long on a size 14. And yes we caught rising fish, the bigger problem

could be twisting the tippet during casting.

#7 Red Owl

Red Owl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:41 PM

How do you guys thread a #24 in dim light????? I guess my eyesight isn't what it used to be.  What I did was thread at home with a 24" tippet. I made some 4" loops and taped to a sheet of alum. foil and then put that in a round shoe wax tin. At streamside I tie on the tippet with a double surgeon's.  I can't figure out how some guys thread the tippet into such small hooks.

#24 and #26 muskrat nymphs are the smaller stuff I've tied. GEEZ.

#8 Flyman

Flyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationYork and Starlight, PA

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:06 PM

You can go to a sewing shop and purchase a bunch of needle threaders for a couple of bucks.  They are very fine pieces of super thin tempered wire that are bent in half and attached to a little holder.  You grasp the holder in your thumb and index finger and insert the bent wire through the eye of the hook.  Some guys then just leave it in the eye and put a bunch of flies that they might want to use in a little box.  Then when it starts to get hard to see you take out one of your flies with the threader in it and just pass the end of your tippet through the loop of spring wire and then pull the threader back out the way you put it in and it drags the tippet back out.

Here is a link to ten for $2.98 - http://www.ebay.com/...=item3ca539f866

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users