#1 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

With the water running so low.....I would have to assume if the clarity is even partially "decent" some good dry fly potential could exits around the 5 arches and below.....just wondering if anyone has fished lately and how the hatching activity has been.....and whether any risers have responded ?     I also wonder how the insect activity has been affected over these last few years.....       as the surface activity is only going to be as good as the underlying bug population ?

In prior years I had some awesome action on that river.....the last few has been drastically worse - at least for dry fly action.....a completely different river.  

#2 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

Wow....the silence is deafening    that bad huh ?    LOL     Just Kidding.....I may have Sunday free...and although I hate to leave the productive waters of the Housatonic and/or Farmington Rivers which have been very good to me -   I just miss seeing the Esopus first hand.   I'll hopefully find some risers - maybe sucking in some ISOs or Olives...and if not - I'll betray my own moniker and maybe even swing some soft hackles through the pocket water.

#3 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

Idryfly
My buddy and I fished the Esopus on 9/11. Let me preface this report by saying the Esopus is where I learned how to fish Czech style.  I used to pull double digit numbers on every trip to this river.  I haven't fished the Esopus in over four years.  Yesterday water clarity wasn't an issue (typical greenish/tan color) down by Five arches but up near the Monastary it was very stained.   We didn't stay late but there were tons of Iso shucks on the rocks along with a lots large stoneflies.  Isos were actively hatching and we did see a few clouds hovering above the riffles.  However, I only saw a couple of rises and no fish were caught on dries.  I nymphed the pockets and after that didn't work fished a Iso dry without success. My friend picked up four small fish swinging an Iso wet.  I did see a few small fish rise but otherwise it was a very slow day for the Esopus.

Wingnut

#4 cocountyfisher

cocountyfisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

Greetings!

I got out for a few hours on Wednesday evening near Five Arches.  There were giant stonefly shucks all over, so I tied on a bug ugly and a smaller dropper off that.  Caught 2 small rainbows on the small hare's ear, and missed probably half a dozen more.  I finally got a nice fat rainbow about 14" on my big ugly.  Even the small guys were pretty fat, a good sign!  there were some iso's sporadically hatching but the only thing rishing were juvi's.  As a plus; an eagle, hawk, and blue heron were all circling the quarter mile stretch I was on and they were my only company the whole time.  All in all a great day, wish I had more time to fish the E.

#5 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:53 PM

Hey Guys......thanks for feedback.....anytime I hear some fish are rising....even if its limited....it at least gives me hope   and I'm very glad to hear about the bug activity.  If I go Sunday I'll post my report on the activity.

#6 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

Idryfly

Just noticed your Sept 11th post.   I also fished the Housy earlier this week.  Its fishing very well.  Success all day on Iso and Caddis dries.

#7 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

Hey Wingnut......I just fished the Housy today from around 11:30 to 4Pm.....I dropped my fiancĂ© and her friend off for some wine tasting and had the time to fish.   Cloudy...then light rain..then heavier rain but rising fish were there to be found all afternoon    my catch included bows, browns, fallfish, smallmouth and incredibly...a first for me....a big bluegill that sucked in my olive ??    He had a big chunk of his back missing   likely from a heron.  I basically switched between olives and isos and light cahills  (the latter were really coming off).

#8 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

idryfly

I always seem to do well on the Housatonic in the fall.

#9 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:05 AM

Idryfly,

The Housatonic was incredible today.  Major Olive hatch.  Iso's and Cahills too.  

#10 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

Wingnut......I know.....I had the good fortune of fishing it monday afternoon on my way home from the Farmington River.......My first mistake was not replacing my 6x tippet with 4 or 5x.....one of my first "blind casts" in a productive riffle threw me off guard when a big bow came up and nailed my ISO parachute   after which I set the hook to hard in sheer surprise and broke off my fly.   Thereafter I changed tippets and really never had to deviate from using a sz 12 ISO.   as the afternoon progressed of course I found many targets and it was game on.   I tie many of my ISO parachutes with an bright orange polypro post specifically for this hatch and this river.....as the light starts to fade I can still track my fly.  I still hope to use these flies on the esopus but I can't leave productive waters yet.

#11 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

This thread neatly summarizes my dilemma. I live in Lakeville, Conn. and can be on the Housatonic in 15 minutes. I have a place in Phoenicia, N.Y. and I can be there in 75 minutes. I also have to work every so often, although my schedule is flexible. Finally, I'm broke until tomorrow. 

So I can't go to N.Y. until I get paid. I have nothing to do today, really, except chop some wood. The week's reporting is clustered around Saturday. But I need to get over to Phoenicia, drop off my summer sportcoats and stuff and dig out the tweeds. 

The fishing in the Housatonic is tremendous right now. Why would I want to go anywhere else?

These are nice problems to have.

#12 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:04 PM

Float the West Branch / Main Stem tomorrow or fish the Housatonic???   Being that its supposed to be a bluebird day I'm not sure which to do. The Housatonic has been so good its hard to drive all the way up to the Delaware.  

#13 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

That is a conundrum but I'd probably float the WB if I had the option.  Today I'm doing the Farmington Housatonic shuffle......getting ready for the 90 minute drive to the Farmington.....fish it until 2:30 pm and on my way home be on the Housatonic by 3;30pm.    Hoping the ISO is as good as Monday was.

#14 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

Cant walk away from success.   Going to hit the Housy again,

#15 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:47 PM

^See you there. I'm the guy with a cigar stuck in his yap, and the 11-foot rod.

#16 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:23 AM

I hit the Housy this evening......unfortunately I can't post the pic on this site but I took my personal best on this River with a dry fly - ..approx. 22'' Brown Trout  (orange coloring also) ......he made my day.  A couple flyfishing up stream from me came down -  they both used to be guides out west -   after I finally landed it which was no easy task she snapped 2 pix with her iphone and emailed me them    of course I immediately had to share it with my facebook friends  (only the ones that fish though).

#17 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Congrats on the fish.  I caught two big colored up browns.  One was 18.5 the other was a hair under 20". Both on size 14 sulfur cripple.  The 20" fish I missed earlier in the day on a nymph. I returned a few hours later and stuck him with the Sulfur dry. No idea on how to post a pic here either. PM me and Ill text a pic to you.  I also caught a bunch of small browns and rainbows.

#18 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

Seven browns and rainbows, all medium-sized, last night. Mostly on a plain old size 14 Light Cahill, though a couple came to the Leadwing Coachman and one to a Light Cahill wet. And yes, I was fishing all three patterns simultaneously.

As it gets dark don't ignore the rapids and the downright skinny water. You'll likely have them to yourself, as most guys concentrate on big slow pools.

#19 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

Patrick

Yeah I noticed the fish were very spread out.  I was on the river from 10am to dark.  I lost count but it was over thirty for the day.  Iso dry in the morning.  Three fly nymph set up for the midday. Sulfur from 4pm tip dark.   Fished the Elms in the am and Rainbow run area in the afternoon.

#20 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

^ We think alike, except I used a brace of Leadwings in the morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users