#21 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

Went saturday with my 9yr old son.  I didn't fish as I was helping him.  He caught a nice rainbow and two browns on a dark caddis dry. The wind slowed down the risers.

#22 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

I am going to Phoenicia either tonight or tomorrow morning, so will have something to say about the ostensible subject of this thread.

Any Ernie the Night Fisherman spottings lately? Often found suiting up at the end of the road in Boiceville, just as a regular person is clambering out.

#23 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

Esopus report Thursday, Sept. 25, 2 p.m. (coming to you from Mama's Boy in Phoenicia)

Gents

The Esopus is low and green-murky the closer you get to the Portal. At Boiceville it's pretty darn clear - so I could watch as nothing approached my flies.

I started at Hudler's flats at 4 p.m. yesterday and scared up one small bow, one small brown, one chub and one smallmouth dinker who apparently ignored the memo about heading back to reservoir. Of this extremely mixed bag the chub was the biggest.

I re-rigged after skirting around a fellow who had planted himself at the site of the ex-bridge. (As an aside, the one thing I really noticed when I came back East after living in New Mexico is that Eastern fishermen like to beat the hell out of one very specific stretch of water. They don't move. They could get jobs in a physics lab as Immoveable Objects.)

The rig was: top fly, Stimulator; middle dropper, Isonychia nymph; tail fly, Leadwing Coachman. I used the Stimulator because it's big, I can see it, and there were stonefly shucks all over the place.

Hilarity ensued, as browns chased the Stimulator, which I had dancing on the surface. But this rapidly became dull, and I settled into some serious Davy Wotton-style fishing, with a nice fat brown of some 16 inches and a smaller rainbow, maybe 14, to show for it.

This was in the fast water upstream of the ex-bridge. The next bit, a long slow flat, yielded nothing but a chub.

I worked the pockets that come next, and as it was getting dark, moved up on that enormous shelf, catching one 12 inch bow in the pool on the curve on the last cast.

This morning I arose at the crack of 8 a.m. and drove down to the official DEC pulloff on Plank Road heading out of Phoenicia. Water here was green-murky. 

Using the same rig, with the exception of swapping out the Leadwing for a brassie soft-hackle wet, I caught a couple of dinkers right away, and kept moving.

I usually ignore flats; it's a static kind of fishing and doesn't do much for me, especially when prospecting in murky water. I changed the top fly to a size 14 caddis, the ordinary dark body/light wing kind, and heaved it in. Bang! Nice brown, 14 inches or so.

Then it got embarrassing. It seemed like every other cast caught something, albeit something small (or chubitatious).

The highlight of this, however, was a big fat momma brown, clearly ready for action and wondering where the fellas were. She took the Iso nymph, but the other two flies also caught fish.

So it's not a wasted trip, even with the low wate

#24 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

More:

Friday, Sept. 26, noon

Just now I hauled a brown out of the stretch along Plank Road that was probably eight pounds. It was like catching a leg of lamb. She was lurking in a riffle at the top of where the channel moves over to the road side and gains momentum before forming a very deep pool. This is heading downstream from the first Plank Road pull-off, no DEC sign, with the weird teddy bear shrine. 

I had caught a couple of modest browns and one rainbow, all on a Leadwing. Then the wind came up and my four weight and smaller flies were sailing on me. So mindful of the stonefly shucks, I shortened up the leader, tied on a Stimulator and a golden stone bead head, and worked the sides with water loads and short flips, which is how I found Big Momma.

She overwhelmed my giant net, that's how big she was. Is. I put her back, after ever-so-briefly considering how magnificent she would look over the mantelpiece.

But I don't have a mantelpiece. Case closed. Besides, she will spawn hundreds of new fish.

Last night I fished the angler's area behind the Emerson. I took several rainbows in the riffles on variations of the Iso. I also caught a brown on a caddis - a very greedy little bugger, since he had his mouth full already - with a four inch brown trout. (Memo to self - check fly boxes for little brown trout streamers.)

Then I walked up and watched a young fellow casting from the opposite side toward the riprap that forms the side of the big long deep pool. His wife was sitting on the riprap by the car, fiddling with her gizmo. As I approached he caught something and hollered, and she stopped texting her BFF long enough to snap a photo of her boo and fish. (I am au courant with the lingo, you see.)

The young guy continued working it, with a sulfur dry, and landed a nice fat female brown as dusk settled in. Not as good as mine this morning, but not too shabby.

Then he stumbled coming across and went in over his waders. A true gent, he said "Whoops!" instead of something saltier.
cleardot.gif

#25 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the report Patrick, I must get up there once before the winter sets in.

#26 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for ruining my plans..............I was already set to do the farmington Housatonic shuffle on Monday     which I still might -      just now if I do...all i'll be thinking is wonder how the esopus is doing ?

#27 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'm doing the Housatonic this afternoon. I'd be out now but work is interfering with my fishing. Stupid work.

#28 BillA

BillA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationChichester

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:14 PM

Great catch, Patrick!  That was a very motivational post.

#29 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

This is the first season in my thirty plus driving to try my luck along Esopus creek in fall . I might visit it if my mode switches but so far i'm not interested even though it is a pretty place.  Is that guy Bud still kicking with the hotdog stand by five arch bridge?  I remember the days he had the rod and gun shop.. use to get my tackle/bait /lures there.. john's bait and tackle near west shokan provide sawbellies for the res.. and Harry up in shokan near the divider weir use to sell tied eggsacks.. all those places are long gone and i imagine the fish are not as plenty as those days long ago. Anybody taking pictures , i'd like to see some them little bows if they still exist. peace out jj

#30 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:58 AM

Going up tomorrow.  Looking for the big brown but will take silver bullets all day.  Ill let you know.

#31 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

Changed plans last minute and fished the Housy instead.

#32 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:21 PM

Last trip over, to close up the house and get a last couple of whacks in at the Esopus.

Thursday, Nov. 6 — Cold, drizzly, semi-miserable. Thinking in terms of chucking big streamers, I took out a gigantic rod, a 12.5 ft 8 weight Cabelas switch rod I bought primarily for chucking bass bugs around from a pontoon boat. And it worked fine for streamers, except the fish weren't terribly interested.

Around noon I noticed fish sipping at something. I figured small olives. So I wound up using this enormous rod with a long leader, 6X fluoro tippet, to drop a size 22 parachute olive in there. I had to stand about a quarter mile away, and landing the fish was another problem. This was along Plank Road, where the stuffed animal shrine has been modified. Does anybody have any idea what on earth this is about?

Friday was cold, drizzly, and very windy, making it completely miserable. Fished behind the Emerson in that deep pool, clambering around on the rip rap and catching brown after brown on the little olives again. Problem this time was the wind blowing the line around, creating the "Fleeing Olive" illusion so beloved of our forefathers. Damned if they didn't chase it though.

I wish I could have stayed today, which was sunny and calm, but I had urgent business at home. So that's it for the Catskills this year. It was a good one.

Friday, Nov. 7, above Portal, near Shandaken town hall

DSCF0162_zpsfba0109e.jpg

Thursday, Nov. 6, Plank Road

DSCF0146_zpsb85f68e3.jpg

Stuffed animals. This is getting into "Blair Witch" territory

DSCF0143_zpsb6ce4ec8.jpg

DSCF0145_zps03344e84.jpg

"FALL" stands for "False alarm - leaf (laughs)"

DSCF0165_zps3fddc0a1.jpg

#33 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:35 PM

Very cool pics..thabnks for sharing.. looks low and raw fall weather as you mentioned. "blair witch" territory hmmm .. i know woodstock is close!

#34 BrooklynFlyGuy

BrooklynFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NY

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

Fished the Esopus this past Saturday 11-8 in hopes of hooking up to some spawners. Alas, it was not to be. Hooked and landed 3 river fish, with the biggest being a guesstimate of 14" . Started off the day chucking a double nymph rig which got me one in the fast water and switched over to streamers tossed to the banks and stripped which landed me the final 2. Fished below Phoenicia and finished up in the Mt Tremper area.

Still, it was a beautiful day to be out on the river.
Took some pics and would love to share, but it seems this forum does not jive with my photobucket account anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users