#1 quadfish

quadfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMilford, PA

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

I just found out today that a friend to many of us, JB Martin, passed away on September 19th. There are no further details to my knowledge.

Here is a link to the obituary: http://www.legacy.co... ... =172519427

May he rest in peace. He was a good guy and helped to rekindle my interest in fly fishing and tying back in 2006. He will be missed.

-Rick

#2 Ellen

Ellen

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

We just got the bad news about JB.  Hope to speak with his wife.  He was a dedicated fisherman and worked tirelessly on the forum and on FlyFest.  We want to continue Fly Fest and in some way pay tribute to Jim.  If there are any ideas on how, or if you have any other suggestions, please e-mail us at www.catskillflies.com.

#3 ka2ivs

ka2ivs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMahwah, Bergen County, NJ

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:20 PM

What a sad shock.  I wondered why he wasn't returning my messages.  He was a good guy and will be missed.  We'll have to hold the One Fly Tournament in his memory next year.

#4 RMP

RMP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNJ, PA, NY

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

I was shocked to see the news when I went to his facebook page last week because I haven't seen any posts from him in awhile.  Yes things won't be the same without JB.  This is a major loss to our fly fishing community.  He was a great historian and loved to keep traditional ways alive and he always had a great sense of humor in a lot of his posts.  Anything you wanted to know about the history of flyfishing or about the Roscoe area, Jim had the answers.  He loved to voluteer and organize our Catkill fly fishing gatherings. Not to mention he tied beautiful flies in the traditional way.  I just know he's up there right now casting that CANE rod with a favorite traditional catskill DRY fly on the end of his SILK line.  A big Jameson toast to Jim (an opening day tradition of his at Junction Pool).  Rest in peace my friend.

Rich 

#5 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

I am sadden to read this news about JB..I do not believe we ever met but he was a good here online..rip jim

#6 BrooklynFlyGuy

BrooklynFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NY

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

I never had the opportunity to meet him in person (to my detriment) but, being a member of this forum for so long I feel that I knew him. May he Rest In Peace and my condolences go out to his family, friends and all those who knew him. 

#7 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

I am sorry to hear of this news. I never met Jim but I was inspired by his fly tying and he motivated me to tie the classics. He responded to my posts on occasion and when he did I was honored to be recognized by such a talented traditional tier and fly fisherman.

Leif

#8 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationWoodsburgh, NY and Denning, NY

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

I just found out today that a friend to many of us, JB Martin, passed away on September 19th. There are no further details to my knowledge.

Here is a link to the obituary: http://www.legacy.co... ... =172519427

May he rest in peace. He was a good guy and helped to rekindle my interest in fly fishing and tying back in 2006. He will be missed.

-Rick

a gentelman, rennisance man, good guy. JB RIP

#9 skondolf

skondolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

I first met JB back in 2006 at the very first Flyfest held in Roscoe.  A buddy and I had just gotten into fly fishing and tying and I found this site by searching google.  I remember chatting with JB, CJ and a couple other members at the time and when the idea of Flyfest came up I was instantly excited to attend.

Living about 4hrs from Roscoe I don't get down there very often but when my buddy and I showed up for Flyfest JB introduced us to Dennis at Catskillflies and drove us around showing us various spots on the BK and Willow.  At Flyfest I remember sitting next to CJ and I think Quadfish (see his post above) and I was so nervous to even attempt to tie anything as I was totally new.  JB came over and basically grabbed my hands and showed me some techniques and I eventually tied the "theme fly" for that event - a Zugbug.  An ugly Zugbug but a Zugbug nevertheless.

Over the years I've participated in other Flyfest's, the one-fly competitions and even spent a couple family vacations in the area and I think that was, in large part, to JB, his attitude and his love for flyfishing.

I don't get down to the Catskills as much as I used to and while I still "lurk" here on this board (and others) I don't post as much so it was a real shock to log in today and see this sad news.

My condolences and prayer's go out to his family.  I'll think of him when I next wet a fly.

#10 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

Same as a lot of guys, only knew JB on this board where I think he was the board moderator. His posts were always informative and/or humorous,

may he rest in peace.

#11 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationWoodsburgh, NY and Denning, NY

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

we lost a friend and true gentleman in JB RIP and tight lines up there, there are trout in heaven?????

#12 JCfly

JCfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHere 'n there

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

Sounds like someone I'd like to have met.  RIP, JB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users