19 replies to this topic

#1 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

Anyone still getting out? Hopefully tomorrow I'll hit the Farmington or the Housy. Supposed to be a nice day near 60. Would like to get to the Catskills one more time too. Fish some nymphs, streamer and maybe an BWO hatch. Just not ready for the season to end yet.
Gene

#2 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

I am. 

Housatonic last Thursday, it was high then and still fairly high now. I'd go with the Farmington right now.

I'm heading over to Phoenicia tomorrow to shut down the house and get in one last whack at the Esopus in 2014.

All in all, a very good fishing year.

#3 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

PS: I'll continue fishing here in Conn. until I start getting tangled up in floating chunks of ice.

#4 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

Patrick, yeah it will probably be the Farmington. I'll fish until it gets cold and uncomfortable, getting old and the cold bothers me a bit more now.

#5 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationWoodsburgh, NY and Denning, NY

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:53 PM

still fishing the main stem, and the east branch of the neversink (my backyard). caught a nice rainbow the other day 17.5 linebacker, very broad shoulders healthy fish. :razz:  :razz:  :razz: .

#6 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:28 AM

Nice spinner, love those bows!

#7 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:49 AM

All winter long for me.  Housatonic mostly but I try to sneak in a few steelhead trips and the occasional trip to the East Branch Croton River. This fall the Housy was my go to river and it was awesome.

#8 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:02 AM

Gene.......i'll be on the Farmington tomorrow   WEDNESDAY 11/5.......I hit it last Tuesday and the dry fly action was still there albeit you had to search the risers out      my final fish of that day was my biggest   a 18" brown that took a soft hackle as the sun was setting          I am looking to get a solid 10 hours of stalking in      my car is a Toyota rav4 with some trout stickers on it     say hello if you see me    I'd like to say hello to you on the river bank       and if you are going in the a,m. have some winter caddis which are coming off at first light per upcountry fly shop

#9 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thanks Idry, probably check out the olives this afternoon. I drive a black subaru forrester.
Gene

#10 BEAVER

BEAVER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationCatskills

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

Was fishing yesterday Nov 5th Main D above Lackawaxen Junction. Got one 18 brown, 2 smallies and a chub.

#11 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

Hey gene...sorry i missed you     yesterday was a beautiful day    I took some river pics and a few pics of some browns I caught -   but I clearly noticed that surface activity has slowed down quite alot from what I was used to.... I actually had to search, wait  and stalk some risers     they were not as carefree as usual.

#12 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationWoodsburgh, NY and Denning, NY

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

idry, as weather changes I temper my expectations, but i dont care if I catch or just splash the water, I just like wadding in and casting a few, smoking a cigar....RELAXING.

#13 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:17 PM

ID, I drove up the west side of the river and didn't see your car, so I suspect you were on the east. I did find a few fish on top, hooked four and landed two. Pretty satisfied and that will probably be the end of my season this year. Of course if we get the right conditions I'll certainly check it out.

Gene

#14 BrooklynFlyGuy

BrooklynFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NY

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

Heading up to the Esopus this coming weekend for what will more than likely be my last trip until next Spring. Will post a report afterwards.
In a relationship with a woman and have some obligations with her after this weekend that'll tie me up till then. She is just too damned good a cook to lose.

#15 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:02 PM

Gene....certainly can't complain with hooking into four .......I started on the west side in the morning and then before noon I was above the bridge in Riverton fishing the Westbranch...Beaver pool....    my entire afternoon was spent on the east side of the river - below Matthis park.

Brooklyn.....no question the female persuasion will cut down on your fishing time      I'm engaged with a May 16th wedding date......and my fiancĂ©e doesn't understand why missing the Hendrickson hatch is such a big deal ???

#16 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:07 AM

I was going to start a topic but you did it for me Gene, good reports from those who are still fishing.. if i lived closer I'd be up there trying but , winterized my camper.. I haven't made it up since.. I was hoping to read reports from the Esopus.. i use to go there every season around Halloween for them smart resi runners but think not any good as use to be, but still miss the scene and still love that place in Nov... it changed however over the decades .. was hoping to get up somewhere .. I think if i were to really want nice chance for trout to c/r it would have to be the w.branch .. i may decide to visit the hancock pools up and below the junction where both eb/wb intersect.  that is my thought anyway for best odds for day trip  here is hoping for more indian summer days .. Freeze is just around the corner.

#17 BrooklynFlyGuy

BrooklynFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NY

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

idryfly- blessings on your wedding.

Or, considering how it's starting in May,maybe you should have my sympathies! LOL JK Good Luck!

#18 fly14

fly14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

Its all about steelhead now for me. Those fish are very addicting once you hook your first one.

#19 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

I fished the Farmington yesterday and I can tell my season is done.....I usually kill on that river but the surface activity was not that great.  I should have known the day was going to be cursed when I  landed a nice brown on my first cast with a new parachute black ant I've been experimenting with.  I only saw one rise about 5 minutes previously....and got into position to where I remembered the general area of the rise was -  First cast he slams it in almost slack water......and I thought it was going to be a banner day  (at least I felt the fly was validated)    the rest of the day I basically searched out for some risers........3 fish hooked.....none of which I brought to net - so my first cast brown was my only one.    For now I'll focus on reading some of the fly fishing books I recently bought and will try to get to the arts of the angler show this coming weekend...

#20 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

Steelhead this friday.  I'll report back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users