#1 Fly Guy

Fly Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

Good day gents. Wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to fly reel model or company that has a thinner, or smaller reel foot ? Age old problem of different reel seats through the years that simply wont fit many of todays or yesterdays reels. I don't want to file em down. I have an old Ross that fits the bill , but that's about it . Appreciate any suggestions. Won't be long my friends, bugs are starting to pop !!!

#2 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

Drives you nuts right? I remember years ago the AFFTA attempting to standardize this, but unfortunately, its too little too late. What rod are you having problems clamping a reel to?  What exactly is the problem...is the radius wrong where it touches the seat, or is the foot angle too steep? Too wide? 

I love the old medalists, but those feet don't fit anything new. 

I don't have too many reels with the smaller, standardized feet but I can tell you Abel, Islander and Hardy fit my "small" seats [.650] with both sliding band and screw locking seats.  CJ

#3 Fly Guy

Fly Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:26 AM

Thanks CJ. I have had some problems with a few of my cane rods. One the builder put on too many coats of varnish on the wood and thus closed off much of the room for the reel seat. I just picked up an older T&T , am surprised that it to has a small area , both up lock reel configurations. I am picky about the reel fit and don't like to file em down . I thought a TR3 would work , but no- go . I do have a small Ross Gunnison 2 that works , guess I'll keep looking and trying . have not considered Islander , thanks for that . 

#4 Flyman

Flyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationYork and Starlight, PA

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

I believe that all of the Hardy Lightweight series; Flyweight, Featherweight, LRH, and Princess have narrow feet that will fit the morticed wood on most bamboo rods.  I also have a Abel Creek 2 which is a lovely narrow spool, large arbor, reel that fits all of my #3 - #4 rods easily.

#5 Fly Guy

Fly Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

Thanks FLYMAN ! I have an LRH , I have had to file her down a bit and she works on some rods .

I will look into the Abel series, but my TR3 is a no-go. All rods are different and I have a few from late 1800's to present.

All good , so many reels ~ so little time ! Tight lines to you , see you on "The Kill " 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users