5 replies to this topic

#1 Red Owl

Red Owl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:19 PM

Old fly- anyone fish them? What sizes and colors and what type waters?

#2 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

Old fly- anyone fish them? What sizes and colors and what type waters?

Always...one of my mainstay patterns. #12's and #14's mostly. Always white/brown. They float and bob like a cork, can stand multiple fish hookups before they need to be changed out, and fish love them. Hewitt really killed it with this one!

I am a big believer in fishing obscure patterns for the simple reason trout don't see them anymore. CJ

dc70b761-0520-4267-82db-b39f892cf8c8_zps

#3 Red Owl

Red Owl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

I did tie up some white/brown #12's. From my research that was the best color combination and size.  I was figuring on trying them on faster water where a trout doesn't have a lot of time to decide. They look "buggy" to me.

#4 Lloyd Richards

Lloyd Richards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSayre, Pa.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

I tie them exactly the way CJ does and also with a Peacock body, brown hackle palmered up to a white hackle in the front. Both ways work well.

#5 Red Owl

Red Owl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

I'm told that some folks years ago thought maybe the trout thought they were a caddis.  I'm not sure a caddis rests on the surface of the water where their wings fold back over the body. I think the Adams was actually originated as a caddis imitation. Anyway- what times do you usually think- "This would be a good place/time for a bivisible"  Since they float well but don't look exactly like any particular insect I was thinking fairly fast riffles in the seams/chutes.

#6 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:50 PM

Its not a Delaware fly, though I am sure folks have caught fish with it there too.

I fish smaller water most, and the smaller the water the better it produces. Pocket water is where it really shines. CJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users