98 replies to this topic

#1 oldmanlandry

oldmanlandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationJersey City

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:29 AM

I am going to be camping at Woodland Valley near Phoenicia Wednesday through Sunday. Is there any point fishing that part of Esopus or do I need to go down to the Five Arches?

#2 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

That area is fine to fish, Woodland and the Esopus. If nothing is rising, I would fish Iso nymphs, prince, zug bug, etc.

#3 troutpunk

troutpunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

There is tons of good water all over the esopus.  I don't even bother fishing five arches.

#4 oldmanlandry

oldmanlandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationJersey City

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

Great, I am really excited for my first trip of the season.

#5 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

The Esopus has been great lately. I was there earlier this week, pulled up some nice fish in the stretch accessible from Herdman Road in Phoenicia, including a really big rainbow that I think was relaxing in a post-spawning mode, perhaps smoking a cigarette. 

Alas I had to drive down to Northern Virginia yesterday to help my mother pack for her impending move to Connecticut, so I am missing what looks like ideal Esopus conditions.

#6 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:44 AM

I would think didymo is still a problem in the Esopus..last time (fall season) it looked so choked with the stuff and it was rusty colored sticking to the rocks.. said to myself must be the frackers who done this! lol.. anyways, hope those signs are helping..imho , too much info for anyone who got slapped with a fine etc.... I think the signs ALL of them should be removed... and another thought is that algea was here long before homeland stick it to yah in the asz security.. anyway, jmho. btw, river suks.. go spooning now in the reservoir from shore as an option, should still be good.

#7 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

More didymo than usual, but it generally fades out by now, leaving some gunk behind. In general Esopus conditions last week were as good as it's going to get.

#8 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

Esopus is fishing very well right now. I had to cut my trip short, which is irritating, but I hauled in a really good brown this morning on a soft hackle brassie, as well as half a dozen medium browns, a couple of crazy rainbows, and a sucker. Last night was surprised to catch an honest to god 12 inch brook trout in the Esopus, on a Stimulator. I asked him what he thought he was doing there, but he just wiggled.

#9 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the report, sounds good. I never caught a brookie there, maybe he got washed down from a trib with these thunderstorms

#10 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:33 AM

Yes that was a first for me — in 40-odd years of fishing the Esopus I've never had a fraction of an iota of a hint of a brook trout

#11 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

Good fishing over weekend in Esopus. Portal remains at a low flow, because the water in the Scoharie Reservoir is too warm to send through, I was informed. Leadwing/iso nymph solid producer. Lots of rainbows in the riffles. Easy wading. Good clarity. 

#12 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

Thanks again for another report. You are the only guy who reports on the E. I was wondering about the clarity with the lower flow,

makes sense it would be clearer. Wonder how the tubers are taking it, is it still floatable for them?

#13 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

Drove by Phonecia on Sunday afternoon - seemed like the usual tuber zoo in town - Water looked good - As of today, projected air temps for the next few days look good as well for at least morning/early afternoon fishing. Think I'll put down the hammer and get down there.

#14 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

Haven't been in a couple of weeks, busy over here in Connecticut catching bass and other things.

The tubers will do their thing in a mud puddle. The first wave starts around 10 a.m., when I am about ready to pack it in, and they start to leave around 6 p.m. 

They are annoying but unlike the old days they don't drink beer the whole way and throw the cans around. I find stray flip-flops and the odd water bottle and that's about it.

And I don't think the fish care about them at all. I've caught rainbows immediately after a herd of tubes went through -- I mean, 30 seconds later.

You can avoid them if you fish below the Railroad Street bridge in Phoenicia.

#15 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:57 PM

I agree with Patrick. I've had plenty of hook ups over the years, right behind a flotilla of tubers. Someone once posted a theory here, that nymphs are a good choice right after the tubers run through, based on the speculation that tubers raise them with their feet agitating the bottom. As far as FF fishing theories go, I've certainly heard much more convoluted ones

that were less feasible. Who knows ? I hooked into a beautiful fish last week , about a minute or two, after what appeared to be a whole Yeshiva floated through.

I was by last night briefly, right before dark, with water a bit clearer (for the Esopus) with little nippers jumping and hitting on top. Couldn't get an ID on the flies - something quite small.

General conditions on the E, could be much worst. Wondering what's going on up at Gilboa ?. I heard they have started work up there again. Perhaps they are diverting the Schoharie straight into the out takes - Anybody heard anything?

#16 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

I'm heading over Friday for the long weekend. At least that is the current plan. I need a break from bass in their various forms and from covering significant art events. Like this:

sals%20sept%203%20pls%20beasts%204_zpsn8

I ask you — is it fair to send a trout bum on an assignment like that?

#17 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:13 PM

Was driving through Phonecia yesterday on a non fishing day. Decided while there to carve out an hour to do a bit of hit and run fishing - Flows were slightly higher than usual with water turbidity only slightly increased if at all. Water temps were warm below the Emerson with signature Iso formations quite prevalent on the rocks. No Iso's observed above Phonecia.

#18 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:15 PM

I'm heading over Friday for the long weekend. At least that is the current plan. I need a break from bass in their various forms and from covering significant art events. Like this:

sals%20sept%203%20pls%20beasts%204_zpsn8

I ask you — is it fair to send a trout bum on an assignment like that?

At least no one took a shot at you .....

#19 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:51 PM

Scratch that plan — recreational release. Good for the trout, ultimately, and for the local economy. Bad for fishermen this weekend, though. I knew they'd scratched one release earlier this summer because the water coming through the tunnel was too warm, or something, and I assumed the Labor Day release would be nixed as well. D'oh!

Luckily it's only 70-odd miles from me, so I can go pretty much anytime I want.

#20 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

Looks like it was a one-day deal. That's irritating. Oh well. Fishin' ain't pretty sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users