#1 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:45 PM

I fished with my buddy Adam from Monday through Saturday and had good fishing. I'm not going to say where or post any pictures as to not offend anyone or cause droves of fisherman to decend on the spots. I am also opting to quickly release the fish rather than hold them up out of the water or drag them to the bank. What I will say is we had some wonderful action on Brown Drakes, Green Drakes and their spinners. We also caught them on March Browns and Caddis patterns. I was tying up those Brown Drake spinners at the cabin and they really did the trick. Met a nice Gentelman on the East branch named Bob. Hope you did well with the Brown Drake and caddis pattern. We had a great week and I'll be back at it on Fathers Day with my son. Hope the water and air temps get and stay cooler.
Leif

#2 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:28 PM

so your report is you went fishing - caught fish - of course you can't say where because of the dreaded hordes, usually guys from NJ,

and you will be back with your son to fish your secret spots - thanks for the update.

#3 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:48 PM

Lol. No secret spots. Fished all the well known easy access area. Just wanted to say the fishing was good in general for me and what flies worked. Every time I post photos and give locations I get criticized so I opted to be more general. I only fish up there a few times a year. I did fish the pool below the jaws one evening and it was totally dead. There was a great hatch but dead. Two guys were using spinning rods with some sort of bobber thing they were casting and catching them. They left. As it got dark. They came back with 4 more guys with similar set ups. They set up right in front of that pool and I got disgusted and left. Anyone see anything like this?
Leif

#4 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:49 PM

Lol. No secret spots. Fished all the well known easy access area. Just wanted to say the fishing was good in general for me and what flies worked. Every time I post photos and give locations I get criticized so I opted to be more general. I only fish up there a few times a year. I did fish the pool below the jaws one evening and it was totally dead. There was a great hatch but dead. Two guys were using spinning rods with some sort of bobber thing they were casting and catching them. They left. As it got dark. They came back with 4 more guys with similar set ups. They set up right in front of that pool and I got disgusted and left. Anyone see anything like this?
Leif

#5 BillA

BillA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationChichester

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:54 PM

I, too, went fishing....but mustn't  tell anyone where.  The flies I caught fish on (if I caught fish, and I'm not saying about that either) are secret.  Well, they're not exactly secret because everybody knows what bugs they are...but which exact bugs..I'm not sayin'.  Also, if any of you saw a guy fishing and thought it was me - it wasn't.  I wear camo and walk on my knees.  I hope that you will enjoy and profit from this fishing report.  ;-)

#6 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

I think I saw you. Camo, black knee and shin guards.......

#7 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:17 PM

Leif, yes it's called centerpinning, and it's a deadly technique. They do it on the Farmington in Ct..They can run that bobber for a long distance covering a lot of water.

Gene

#8 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:26 PM

the entire system should be catch and release, fly rod only, spinning rods in the most secret places.

#9 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

I agree. Fly rod only. Catch and release. I used to keep a few small ones on occasion but it just doesn't make any sense to keep them. They are so beautiful and awesome to catch. I was so aggravated when I saw this practice with the spinning rod in that pool. Sneaky too under the cover of darkness.

#10 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:01 PM

I seen those two guys last season using those telescopic centerpin float rods.. they are russians and they eat everything they catch..they use worms and mealworms.. best thing to do is keep the pool pictures offline.. report anything suspicious or illegal to the proper authorities

#11 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:31 PM

I was also up this weekend, hatches were basically slim to none. Caught most of my fish on swinging soft hackles. Nothing big, caught 3 brookies on the willo in Livingston either they were washed down with the rain Thursday or recent stockies. Overall it was disappointing, the main pools on the bk-willo-eb were loaded with guys.

#12 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:38 PM

Gary the brookie thing is kind of interesting. I caught several last year but not as far up river. I would like to talk to someone from the DEP to see what they think about how they showing up. Never caught as many in the past.

Gene

#13 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

Exactly Gene, I bring up stocked brookies because a few years ago I caught around 10 of them, that night I bumped into a guy who said they had

stocked them for a kids fishing derby the Saturday before. lol

#14 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:40 AM

Gary I was under the impression they did not stock brookie in New York, guess I was wrong. Thanks for the info.

Gene

#15 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

I remember releasing a huge rainbow under 17 overpass on the willo years ago around this time..definitely was one of those private stockings.. also some of the state ponds had private brooktrout stockings up by the recreational park state camps (bear springs) not sure how those programs are run or supported. Would be very benificial to restock any native brook trout waters up there.. all of them get pounded anyway.. floods probably hit them the hardest.. also noticed less amphibians such as frogs and salamanders and newts .. witnessed how those huge floods deplete most everything .. that is what the DEC is in business for.. promote the habitate and conserve it for our enjoyment..not monitor it and decide it be off limited preservation land . This is why I get up and mad when I see stretches of posted signs on company utility poles  such as those recent ones along the lower East branch after the firemen field. No one should be allowed to own such property water between that public rd.and water... makes no sense to me

#16 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:52 PM

Gene,

That's exactly what I thought. I had always thought they wanted to keep the native brookie strain pure??

jj

I agree, those small strips of land between the roads and the rivers should at least be public access............Power to the People, lol 

#17 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

From what I understand, the Brook Trout, for the most part can not survive in the rivers as they are now except for the upper reaches and smaller colder natural brooks. The temperatures are just too warm to sustain them. Long gone are the days of Hemlock shaded banks on the Beaver kill that kept the river cool. I caught a nice brookie a few years ago on the Beaver Kill and saw a couple caught on the Upper East as well.

Leif       

#18 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:44 AM

my neighbor up on the EB seen otters...to me or any fisherman , this is pretty bad news imho.. I seen  lots of mink too this season flushing little fish from under the rocks looking off the bridges..Bottomline is, the predators and the internet advertising links especially are overwhelming the natives as well as the fewer stockings the DEC does about the past decade.. I definitely see the difference .. oh the deep pools have fish but nothing like a decade ago.. anyone else notice too many them fish ducks? they too  too forage on the little natives depleting what there is in the streams. NYS needs to adopt a better stocking program for the Delaware watershed system. between the floods and internet  research technolgies.. it is the least they can do for our fishing license fees. They do not even stock the reservoirs like they use to do.. too many greedy thugs with deep pockets are in control imho

#19 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

Saw a beaver up close for first time on BK above Roscoe. Swam into the little pool I was fishing and went under a downed tree. Scared the crap out of me, size of Jaws lol

#20 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:17 PM

Yeah I've had one go back and forth slapping it's big tail, I guess I was in his way. They make a big commotion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users