#1 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

Hit the water @ 5:00am Saturday with just enough light to knot a fly to 6X. Damp cool morning, and the rain from earlier this week brought the water up to near perfect levels. 

Landed this wild boy in the first 1/2 hour on the water, good start to a great morning. My net is 24" overall, so you can get an idea of the size he was.

82d6d4ad-977a-4353-8a22-4e4f298bb60e_zps

A few more....
17"
26c8f000-717c-4151-80d1-c3a626844873_zps
15"
9f4a5042-6ba0-4785-b0e6-3c59c9985fec_zps

Got a bunch of 10-14"ers in between, and one unusual looking brown with a big hump over his shoulders like a sockeye salmon. Its the second one I have caught like that over the years...wonder what causes it?

No mayflies on my stream, but then again I don't ever see many at 6:00 in the morning. Lots of lime sallies though.

Looking forward to some other reports too. CJ

#2 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

Very sweet Brown CJ....definitely wild.  I myself hit a local croton river tail water only 25 minutes from my house Sunday morning from about 7am to 11 am....and as its close to the cold water reservoir release there were both caddis and sulphurs coming off between some light rain and receptive browns eating them.  I landed a very nice number of them in the 8" to 11" range .....mostly wild -  and of course there is one pool that the "lunkers" hang out....when I say pool its really a puddle compared to the pools  we normally think of as this is a small stream.  After landing a couple at the tail end on sulphurs....I knew by the rise form that the boy at the head of the pool was sizable......he ignored my sulphur so I tied on a black CDC flying ant and immediately after his last rise I cast right over his head.  He took it...I set the hook and it was fish on....however like a shark I immediately saw the hump of his back charging upstream through the water and within 10 seconds he was off.   My estimate minimum 16" plus ......but...I'll be back for him as I know his haunts.

#3 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

Fished Friday on the Farmington, landed several up to 15". Rolled a big boy and I will be back, maybe today. The rest of the weekend was fun family stuff. We will be back in the Catskills this week, can't wait!

Gene

#4 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

Nice CJ. Beautiful fish and photos. I fished Friday night and Saturday with my son and we only managed 3 fish but they were decent size. We had 2 on streamers on the East and one on a yellow drake at the Beaverkill.

Leif

#5 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:31 AM

beautiful river fish cj ..it is good to see this time  a spectacular wild too! I never made it being on a lk up there catching warm water species out of a boat.. my next trip will be my usual flyfishing haunts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users