• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Randyflycaster

Randyflycaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:24 PM

I'm planning to go up to the Beaverkill next week. I'm curious: What size and color Sulphurs should I tie?

Any other suggestions on what flies (and sizes) will be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Randy

#2 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

Hi Randy,

I would bring a variety of patterns, colors and sizes. The trout can be very picky with regards to sulfurs. I tie and bring 14, 16, 18, parachutes, thorax, klinkhammer, comparadun and traditional patterns in light yellow and different shades of the orange sulfur. Catskill flies has a nice cripple pattern featured on the home page as the fly of the week...The ones I saw last week seemed to be more pale yellow and size 16.

Also Light Cahills 14, Small Olives, Isonychias(duns, emergers, nymphs and spinner) 12, Caddis, Spinners 16-12, beetles and ants 14-18. Small streamers/marabou leech size 8 in black and olive, pheasant tails, I like the Conover in size 12 and 14 as a searching pattern when nothing is going on.

9e8bbad8-81a0-43bf-92ea-c4864eb11f86_zps

Leif

#3 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:42 PM

Good advise from Leif...I don't know what it is about sulphurs but the trout can get choosy as to what they will take.

I was going to suggest that cripple/emerger Leif mentioned, then took a look at the fly CF has up this week. The original was tied different, and was originated by Walt Ackerman, one of the Catskills best guides ever. Anyone who has been to the shop and ogled the photo of Walt holding that 28" Delaware Brown should know it was caught on that fly. It was a while ago, maybe 12 years but I recall when news got around of that huge fish they couldn't tie enough of those flies to keep the anglers stocked up!

The original dressing is...
thread, pale yellow
tail, brown antron
abdomen, brown antron ribbed with 5X mono
thorax, sulphur dubbing
wing, bleached deer hair flared comparadun style and leaning forward slightly
hook TMC 100 #16-18 or standard dry fly

Enjoy your trip...I will be up then too. CJ

#4 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:23 AM

That's right CJ, I caught that too about the body being antron or z-lon.  And yes the sulphurs sometimes can be hard to match. I think usually the fish

key on the emergers, so I like the cdc emerger a lot.

#5 Randyflycaster

Randyflycaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:05 PM

Folks,

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Randy

#6 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

Great read from lief, I made a memo and will consolidate my boxes .. should of left early but seen am showers online weather underground station.. still itching to go today but i know tomorrow and Sunday will be rain stormy bs.. anybody going or up there? I got to go eventually to cut a lawn too lol

#7 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Decided to wait, I'll be up next week sometime after these rains. Going to try the flies mentioned here! :razz:

#8 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:15 PM

I wish I could add pix to the site - but I no longer try.  I had really great success on the Farmington River yesterday during a sulphur hatch using some of my new ties.   They are a combo "soft hackle" and "emerger" .      I use a sz 16 (or 18)  Daichii Klinkhammer hooks...tie a small tuft of tan CDC as a tail/shuck - which I wet before I cast it  (ie:  i want this CDC to sink...providing bubbles, undulation).....then simply tie a very thin body of cream/yellow....a thorax with light yellow UV dubbing  (again....SPARSE)...and then tie in some white hen hackle as the wing.   In the calmer pools I fish this floats fine and I dare say if presented in the zone, drag free - when the timing is right -  it rarely gets refused.

#9 Randyflycaster

Randyflycaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

As it turns out, based on the weather forecast, it looks like the rivers will not be wadeable Monday and Tuesday.

Randy

#10 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:44 PM

I wish I could add pix to the site - but I no longer try.  I had really great success on the Farmington River yesterday during a sulphur hatch using some of my new ties.   They are a combo "soft hackle" and "emerger" .      I use a sz 16 (or 18)  Daichii Klinkhammer hooks...tie a small tuft of tan CDC as a tail/shuck - which I wet before I cast it  (ie:  i want this CDC to sink...providing bubbles, undulation).....then simply tie a very thin body of cream/yellow....a thorax with light yellow UV dubbing  (again....SPARSE)...and then tie in some white hen hackle as the wing.   In the calmer pools I fish this floats fine and I dare say if presented in the zone, drag free - when the timing is right -  it rarely gets refused.

Idryfly,
I use photobucket for the pictures. It works. Just upload your pictures to photobucket and then copy the image link and paste it to your post.

Leif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users