#1 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:27 AM

This is a fly I have been tying/fishing for 14 years, and has probably accounted for 75% of the trout I have caught in the Catskills.

A modified Hares Ear with the golden pheasant tail wingcase pulled over the bead, hung.partridge tail and ribbed with the red thread its tied with. These are on competition hooks, scary sharp and the trout nearly hook themselves.

018_zps4fnrhiiy.jpg

When the dries just aren't cutting it, and you don't mind going sub surface... CJ

#2 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:15 AM

Nice looking fly CJ, great mix of colors and materials. The only problem is you should of posted yesterday, I would of tied a few for our trip. Boarding in 3 hours, bet they would of been a killer out there.

Gene

#3 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

could you tell me where you got the hooks?

#4 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

Very cool. Thanks for sharing CJ. I like the red thread and the shorter body and buggy nature. I started tying variations of these again after reading and seeing how productive they can be. They almost imitate nothing and everything. They can be tied in all sizes and colors and you can even fish them dry.

I recently ordered some of those hooks from Orvis Upstate Rookie. They are the Tactical Dry Fly Hook. Maybe CJ uses a different one. I am sure there are other brands.

Leif   

#5 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

These particular ones are made by TMC, they are #103BL's-DE,X fine wire, wide gap, black. Everyone is making the hell out of these lately, Hanak, Umpqua, TMC, Dohiku, Partridge, etc. There are also a bunch of "tier grade" hooks made in the same style by others but I would recommend buying the big name hooks. The steel is better, they have a better shape and the points are well thought out. They are not cheap at $10.00 per 25, but when you factor in that the hook is your last piece of hardware that is letting you land the fish, having a quality item on there is nice!

Though they are all totally barbless, the shape of the bend and point not only penetrates better, but they hold like you wouldn't believe as long as you don't give the fish any slack.  If you drop the rod tip its like a 50/50 chance he will be off when you lift it up again.  On the plus side, when you net the fish and he shakes a little, the fly is out already. Something about the shape of the point makes them self ejecting, yet they hold like crazy with tension.  You also have to be careful handling them, they are as sharp as hypodermic needles. 

I started using them last year and tried almost every manufacturers hooks. I would say I like these and the Hanak's best, but some manufacturers have shapes I like better for certain flies so I will use other brands too. I stopped using the cheap ones after touching bottom, checking the fly and seeing the point broken off.  CJ

#6 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

CJ   awesome flies and invaluable info about the hooks.  I'm going to look into them.  A friend of mine who really is an expert tier told me years back that he actually prefers using dry fly hooks even for his nymphs.

#7 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:58 PM

A friend of mine who really is an expert tier told me years back that he actually prefers using dry fly hooks even for his nymphs.

I feel the same way. I was going through a period where it seemed like more than half the trout I hooked would come unglued, and after trying to vary hooksets, angles playing the fish and even tying the nymphs different (notice the very thin abdomen and short body on the above flies, exposing more hook bend and point) I started tying on finer wire hooks and low and behold, problem (almost!) solved. Now that these came along it opened up a whole new chapter in tying and fishing. I still kept the thin abbreviated body on this style nymph as I feel a thick body on any fly hinders hookups.

Thanks guys, CJ

#8 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

CJ, I never give those trout any slack! Great hooks. I'm going to try and use them all the time or at least mash down those barbs as well. Just makes it easier for everyone involved.

Leif 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users