#1 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:09 AM

My nieces birthday party has me home this weekend, when I should be in the Catskills. I would have much rather posted some brown trout photos rather than flies but since the current situation dictates I stay home, at least I can pass some time by twisting up a few dry flies!

When in doubt, tie on an Adams. Ed Van Put calls this fly his go-to, and while his is tyed in a more traditional style, I figured since I had the 103's within close reach I would do a half dozen on them.

Grizzly and brown tail, muskrat body, cree hackle and a turkey flat wing, I don't need to sell anyone on the catching ability of this Michigan born pattern.

002_zps3l9uqiml.jpg

CJ

#2 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

That's a fine looking Adams parachute CJ. I like the use of turkey flat for the wing and the Cree hackle. Nothing like a good Cree neck. Recently I saw a video where the tier used UV glue to make a stiffer wing post and secure the hackle with a small drop of UV as well. Ever try it? Looked like a good idea but probably works best with poly yarn wing material. You've inspired me to tie some Delaware Adams. I am fortunate enough to have one tied by the Dettes from the 70's so I have a good example.
Leif

#3 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

I did see that video. I don't own any of the UV curing epoxy's, but it looks like it worked great on that application!

I like parachute style flies. They always land right, sit nice and low on the surface and are fairly durable. They don't have the beautiful lines a classically tied dry has, but they sure work good.

The Delaware Adams is a good fast water pattern, your very fortunate to have an original! Thanks man, CJ

#4 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:35 PM

I read a Gierach book that had a chapter on the Adams Hatch......in his usual sarcastic style he talks about all the different hatches going on as he was stepping into the river and states in the end I tied on an Adams...LOL     I always tell beginners buy adams in a lot of different sizes.....its brown and gray (like most insects) - it could be anything but represents nothing specifically...but in sizes 10 and 12.....you're all set to imitate ISOs....In size 18 and smaller - you're all ready for a BWO hatch.....and try throwing one into the middle of any hatch.    Nice Tie CJ - I'm looking forward to tying on some  TMC 103BL's.....

#5 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

I use Wapsi Fly Tyers Z-Ment. It is zap with a brush applicator. Easier and faster than using UV since you do not have to use a light to set the glue. Tie in the wing brush a drop and by the time you tie the tail and dub the body it's just about set.

Gene

#6 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:52 AM

Here's an offshoot in a more classic style, the Delaware Adams.

Unless the Catskills gets some rain soon, the big freestones wont have safe enough temps this weekend.  I have a few places where the water is always cold although its a bit of a workout getting there.

Flies like this, the Bivisible and the Katterman, all with palmered bodies are tailor made for those tiny cold brooks.

005_zpswglflytx.jpg

Mustad 94833's, 12,14 and 16, all with "Dette wool" bodies. CJ

CJ

#7 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

Sweet, beautiful flies CJ. You do great work,

0 user(s) are reading this topic