3 replies to this topic

#1 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:36 AM

as we all know the West Branch flows are higher then normal for the reasons stated, and it looks like the high flows will continue through August. Some even saying the draw down could  leave the reservoir at 30% of capacity or lower. Keeping in mind the problems with flow in the beginning of the season, what happens to the West Branch when the reservoir is at 30% or God forbid less than 10%. What happens to the West Branch flow situation then? 

#2 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

I think that is the gorilla in the room -  Call me a pessimist but I am envisioning at least for a time being the possibility of  river temps turning into a warm water fishery.  Lets hope we do NOT get a severe heat trend in August or even September that causes a kill off because the trout have no cold water sanctuary  - especially as the cooling effects of a bottom release start to diminish.  It could take years of recovery to get the watershed back to the great wild trout fishery it has been -   all because some greedy idiots couldn't leave well enough alone - a beautiful cold water reservoir efficiently supplying drinking water - but had to drill because a hydro electric power installation meant some extra money ?   And we thought Fracking was the only threat. 

#3 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:06 PM

I was just short of a pool fish out of sandy hook a couple days ago..6 lb fluke beat by a 7 lbers.. haha.. but a great taste fried for my family it was! ..I say trout season is pretty much over for heatwave  season..anyway was youtubing salmon river steelhead flicks,,amazing how they hit in that frigged water.. i use to do a few trips in winter like the clips i watched.. but never fly fishing..honestly don't know how they do flyfishing in sub zero weather up there but obviously they do! ..anyway, haven't been upstate in a couple weeks and need to get up to cut the lawn..lol..maybe the EB IS GOOD SOMEWHERE

#4 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

I would think the water will start to be warmer as the level of the reservoir drops.  We just have to hope for a very wet August. Otherwise I think the West Branch will be devastated.  Has anyone be to the meetings the DEC has had?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users