#1 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

Wondering what kind of rigs others here started off with ? My dad gave me a Shakespeare glass rod when I was 12 years old. Had all the action of a garden hoe. That's ok, it was a start. Besides, there were no trout around, we threw poppers for Bass and Sun Fish.

#2 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:29 PM

First one or first real one? :)

My first one was a 5ft spinning rod, 2pc with full cork grip and sliding rings...I could clamp a Medalist on the back and fished the heck out of it.  That was 1977. I will never forget my first real one.  I bought it at Herman's Sporting Goods in NJ, a 2pc, 7ft Cortland glass 4wt...holding that compared to my "other" rod was like getting out of a Vega and into a Mercedes, I felt empowered with that rod!  It was almost a hundred bucks too...and most likely the biggest expenditure in my life up till then. 

What a feeling "casting" with that Cortland. Since then I have never been excited with a new rod as deeply as I was with that one, and I had a bunch of them. Much like your first car or girlfriend, even if looking back you chuckle at the experience, it still holds an irremovable memory you will cherish.  CJ 

#3 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:44 AM

My first venture into fly fishing at age 10 (40 years ago) was a disaster.....my friends and I all spin fished on a lake I lived on and no adults fished....I got a Shakespeare also at either at Caldor or Montgomery Wards and it was a disaster.....I had no instruction - no books (there was no internet)  and for all I know it could have been a 4 weight or a 8 weight    those words meant nothing to me.  I was unable to effectively cast it to largemouth bass so I returned to my spinning rod and Jelly worms. Then in the late 90's...(age 34).....I decided to re-visit brief  love affair  and infatuation with the concept of a fly rod......I was able to get a 9 foot 5/6 weight and a 8 1/2 foot 5/6 weight scientific anglers rod...each about $25 on clearance at walmart   also got matching Pleugler reels at about the same price...and to this day my steal of a lifetime....a bunch of SA Orange weight forward 6 weight fly line at $1 each......$35 retail at the time.   My original rigs served me well for a few years as I explored the Croton Watershed  The Esopus and the Housatonic River.  I then evolved like we all do into buying more and more equipment we probably don't need but want.....but I still have a strung up SA Rod with my $1 line and Pfluegler reel in my garage....its now my "practice" rod and  I lawn cast with it almost every day.

#4 SPINNER78

SPINNER78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationWoodsburgh, NY and Denning, NY

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

My first fly fish outfit was a 9 ft Garcia Glass rod, a conolon rod, was hard to cast but great for bass....still have it use it for bass. Used to try and catch trout on the neversink when i was younger lost way more than i landed but wet my appetite for fly fishing

#5 JCfly

JCfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHere 'n there

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

My first was a Horrocks - Ibbotson glass rod. Had the action of a long lenght of Spaghetti, and almost gave up on the concept as a result. Have long since moved up to better rods, and still don't cast worth a damn anyway !  It's fun anyhow.

#6 Grouse

Grouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPutnam County, NY

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:44 AM

Mine was a Gladding South Bend fly outfit. Yellow fiberglass with brown wraps and red fly reel #1122 I think. We didn't have a lot of money and I remember how I begged my mom to get it for me. It was the only thing I ever really asked for..... no trout on that but it was the beginning.......

#7 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

My first rig had a Perrine automatic reel. I must scared the heck out of lot of fish with the high velocity motor boat retrieve with that thing.

#8 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

My story is similar to CJ's, we used to use our 5' ultra light spinning rods as fly rods when I was 15. Then we found Reed Tackle in Fairfield

and started buying kits and making our own rods. The guide windings were not pretty to look at, lol. Then bought my first rod a Shakespeare

when I got my first job at 16. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users