12 replies to this topic

#1 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

Here is my fishing report for August 25 and 26th, no bugs - no fish. Scotch was good. went home early, the end.

#2 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

At least you got out fishing. Looks like the water is still in good shape up there. Looking forward to a trip in October.

Leif  

#3 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:18 PM

Imlooking for bugs at chairs lol Nada fishermen in site.. It looks dead. EB last two days was slow but managed a couple nice released 16 inch on 18 sulfur 6x around 6pm dark wasn't as good for dries.. That's to say hatch was limited in dark. I'm outta here. Best to try wb or EB if you decide..long tippet small sulfur JJ out

#4 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

Cairs lol

#5 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

Yeah bk is dead if I were to fly this weekend ..I would try wb EB tail water and pass freestones bk Willi way

#6 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

I will be splashing around the B-kill this weekend...full report Sunday evening. CJ

#7 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:16 PM

I will be splashing around the B-kill this weekend...full report Sunday evening. CJ

#8 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:19 PM

I would try the fast water above the cold refuge pools on the bk..but suggest tail water wb EB because of the low stream flow okay gl cj

#9 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:56 AM

Was out in a mb today jigging warm water species.. Just thought I'd input no bugs on the water plenty of baitfish..if I were stream flying near or into dark..I would use streamer type patterns just above deep pools stripping fast water..not much debri like weeds and leaves and it is clear and low ..plus not much big going on as for dry fly hatch etc.. Unless you spot rising fish..I'd suggest baitfish streamer pattern buggers and moon is out you may also try big stimulator or any big fat moth patterns this time of year At night gl

#10 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:12 AM

I want to add I seen plenty..I mean 50 or more sipping..dippling fish and scooped in my hand what appeared to be small 18 sulfurs..lots schooled up certain pool on eb big small but they spook very easy..I catch one per spot..tried other pools but fish seen me..I think best approach is go it very slow long light tippet small dries ..I did scoop what appeared to be white Cahill but just one about 14 size but seen more smaller sulfur the times both days was mid afternoon to about 6pm..afterwards it was dead on top..gl once again

#11 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:26 AM

Seen so many fish..trout..they didn't appear to be stockies..wondering if a club put them in or did these migrate..anyway glad they are there..very impressive site to behold..huge ones too mixed in and I know they were natives.st first thought they were brookies but way too many fish same size around 8 inches..a huge pickerel tried catching them..it was rare site to behold on late August day.but I wont dare disclose where..I didnt even bother trying to fish them .hoping all these fish survive for fall season and especially next year. I wish all gl.

#12 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:10 AM

i'm just curious because two days on the stream during pm was pretty August but I didn't fair well with the exception on two fish per day as mentionedin my report on eb,, wb looked good but i didn't try it..bk looked dead ..last two days was on a sullivan lk in a friends boat motoring around..like i said..even on the lake there was no hatches! not even biting flies or mosquitoes in the boat lol! I'm just passing along what a see and wondering how others choose patterns like terrestrials and streamer patterns when it gets slow in August. I know

#13 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:39 AM

I took the long way around and stopped at the B-kill Friday night around 11:30 to check the water temps. 66* is a little too warm for me to fish with a clear conscience so the plan was upper Willow instead. Both need water bad, but I would rather fish low water than warm and the Willow typically stays cooler up above LM.

I saw few mayflies, a couple sulphurs, a small group of trico spinners and a tiny rusty spinner with bright yellow eggs that was a little too high and fast for me to capture and photograph. Lots of tan caddis but as usual, I didn't see one fish take anything on top. They certainly weren't taking anything I floated over them on top.

I nymphed up a few of keeper size, nothing bigger than 12", and got a handful of smaller 8"ers, both browns and bows. Most of the good fish were in fast riffled water and tiny highly oxygenated plunge pools, but I got a couple in "normal" runs, though everything is very shallow.

Anyway, I left my camera at home and used my phone this time, at least its easier to load up pictures here, though I hope the size works out. CJ

edit...the pics are small, but you get the idea.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users