25 replies to this topic

#1 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

5x - 5lb - fluorocarbon tippet versus a 25 yard spool of say Seaguar 6lb fluorocarbon - is there a difference in the material?

#2 TomLangan

TomLangan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

This is a good thread- the small spools of tippet versus bulk spools that a lot of spin guys use- both branded as flurocarbon. I experimented with this before. The bulk spool is a really good value for the money but comes with two common sacrifices. First it is a lot stiffer - the action on the flies is a little compromised as a result. Second, you'll find that some bulk spool fluro is actually only monofilament coated with fluoro - not pure fluoro like our little tippet spools that we over pay for.

I honestly think in that 5X range if you like to nymph with shot or bead heads you'd be just fine with bulk spool fluoro or hybrid. When you get to dries, eh, you'll have more drag and maybe inconsistent diameter. Might want to save the $15 tippet for dries.

Hope that helps.

#3 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

Trouthunter fluorocarbon is hands down my favorite.  Spools are 50m cost is about $22. a spool. Half sizes are available. Dennis has it in the store.  I only use it it for nymphing.  Sizes 4.5, 5 and 5.5 fit all my needs from euro nymphing to indicator nymphing down to size 22.

#4 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

I only intend to use it for nymphing/streamers, I have settled on Rio Suppleflex for drys, Thanks

#5 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

Upstate Rookie

Trust me you will like the Trouthunter Fluorocarbon.  I like the it for nymphing because I believe you can get away with a heavier tippet.  I've used 4x on 20lb carp so I know its strong. I find the spooled stuff way to stiff.  Although I use Seguar Steelhead Fluorocarbon for the top end of Euro style leaders.

#6 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

Trout Hunter IMHO is the best there is.......I use it in 6x  6.5x and sometimes 7x  when dry fly fishing.   My entire dry fly leader is Mono    but the last 4 feet of tippet are always fluoro.   Fluoro tends to sink (what I want in my dry fly tippet.....under the surface)  and mono floats   (what I want in my overall leader).     In my own experience I have noticed that in larger sizes fluoro can actually help to sink a dry fly.....so if I'm tossing larger dries and I want to use a 4x tippet I will stick with MONO......6x or smaller I go with fluoro and in those sizes i get no ill effects.

Your terminal tackle  (leader and tippet) has a much more important role in whether you'll fool a trout that what rod brand or reel you are using....so that is the last area i factor in "savings"....i want only the best.....and harrop's old company is good enough for me.

#7 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

I just picked up some Fluoro from the shop yesterday, Umpqua 5x, 27m for 15$, I saw the Trouthunter there, picked it up, then setit down when looking at the price.  The fluoro is definitely  better for euro nymphing and Ive used Umpqua for years, maybe I should take a look at the Trouthunter , see if I notice a difference

#8 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:41 PM

I'm in the same mindset as wingnut...Trouthunter is the best.  I was shocked at the strength of the 5X, compared to what I was using before [which was everything] and I stopped even fishing with the 4X as I feel like if it gets caught on the bottom I not able to break it off.

For nymphing I almost always use 5.5X or 6X, regardless of fly size. #6 or #22's, I haven't broken off a fly in a trout in I cant remember when, bent a few hooks but no breakoffs. 

idryfly said it...the terminal tackle is what you spend on, I would rather use good stuff there and fish with a switch cut from the side of the stream than a high end rod/reel and junk tippet and hooks.  CJ  

#9 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:51 AM

Ok, Ive got to try it, next spool I buy will be trouthunter 

Thanks CJ, long time since Ive talked to you, hope your doin well  :razz:

#10 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

You too brotha!  I have been thinking about you, hope all is well man!   CJ

#11 Alex Argyros

Alex Argyros

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

Trouthunter is, indeed, excellent, but I've sound something I actually prefer and which is tons cheaper:  P-Line Halo.  This last year I used 4lb (about 4.5X) and 2lb. (about 5.5X) almost exclusively, and I was very satisfied.  Not only is the line strong and quite supple, it also holds knots superbly. 

#12 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

I use Berkley Vanish, 110 yards, $6, in 2,4,6,and 8 pound. I use it to build three-fly leaders, attaching the sections on a regular old Rio tapered mono leader. Or sometimes with a furled leader.

I save old mono tippet spools and spool the Vanish on them. It's a bit of a pain. If you do this don't forget to label the spools, otherwise massive confusion will reign.

I've only used Rio's fluoro spools once, in 5X, and it didn't impress me. I want the stuff to be stiff, that's why it's preferable to mono for droppers. I can use a thinner diameter piece of fluorocarbon and still have the fly sticking out from the main leader at close to a right angle.

I know a fellow who attaches 8 lb Vanish directly to his fly line and adds lighter sections as needed. Never buys a prefab leader, ever.

#13 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

Patrick, pretty good idea, What do you use when fishing dries?

#14 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

^ Either a furled leader (if I remember to treat to so it floats) or a regular mono leader that I immediately tie an extra piece of tippet to — sometimes fluoro, sometimes not.

#15 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

I havent used a furled leader before so cant comment on them but I would think that the efficacy of the fluoro for fishing dries would be less than that of the mono, I use mono for dries, streamers, or wets and fluoro when im straight-up nymphing; however, in the grand scheme of things,  ill bet it doesnt matter all that much lol.  Are the furled leaders good?  Do they have any advantages over mono/fluoro?

#16 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:45 PM

The advantage of fluoro to my mind is it is sturdier in thinner diameters. Whether this translates to straight-up dry fly fishing is, I think, a matter of personal preference. I know anglers who swear by one or the other. I'm ecumenical on the subject.

I've been playing around with the furled leaders for three or four years now (from Cutthroat Leaders). 

For Euro-nymphing and Davy Wotton-style wet fly rigs, I think they are terrific. I can start off with three feet of sturdy mono and add lighter lengths of fluoro for the droppers and wind up with something in the 10-11 foot range, which just happens to be about the length of the rods I use.

No reason you couldn't do the same with a two-fly rig and a shorter rod.

For dry flies I am unconvinced. The furled leaders have to be treated to float.

There is also a psychological barrier to overcome. The furled leader looks an awful lot like more line, which means that five or six feet of tippet material looks like a short leader. I have to concentrate, lest I tie nine feet of 5X mono to the furled leader.

Also remember that fluoro doesn't work well with an improved clinch, which is what I use to attach tippet to the ring on the furled leader.

#17 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:50 PM

Ill have to give the furled leader a try for my subsurface fishing then;  for dry flying,  I would agree that it would an additional issue to deal with attempting to effectively float the leader, also, more visible so potentially could spook trout in clear calm water.  What sized furled leaders do you like to use in terms of diameter and length?

In terms of preference, your right in that preference dictates use and either mono or fluoro can be used almost interchangeably.  I actually did some reading and experts say the differences between the 2 are quite subtle, not necessarily insignificant, but usually not impt enough to warrant using one exclusively over the other either.  Again, mono doesnt sink quite as well as fluoro, thats why I prefer fluoro for subsurface presentations and its also less visible to trout; furthermore, it is more abrasion resistant and since it has zero water absorption, lasts longer.  Mono floats better so should provide a better dry fly presentation than fluoro, has more slack due to limited water absorption which translates to less drag on the fly, and is cheaper. So overall, I like and use both and certainly would not give up dry fly fishing on a certain day just because I ran out of my 5x mono but still had some 5x fluoro available and vice versa for nymphing/wet fly situations with fluoro.  This a great thread btw  :)

#18 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

^ I've got a variety of Cutthroat's leaders, including one Hi-Vis nymphing thing (which I found pretty similar to the regular one) and one that actually came with a bobber er, strike indicator, which I didn't use.

I've got them 76 and 50 inches long, I think, mostly the former and I use them mostly 4,5 and 6 lines.

There are other companies that make these things; I'm only familiar with this one.

And, abrupt segue time...since I started using fluoro tippets for nymphs and wet flies rigs I have caught more fish and better fish. I have also gained weight. Your mileage may vary.

#19 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:32 PM

Ill bet you have, thats why I switched over to fluoro myself for the subsurface stuff.  Its actually a good idea to use the mono though for the tapered part of the leader  since its cheaper  and just use the fluoro for your droppers,  Question:when yu use the furled leader for euro nymphing rigs, does that become your defacto sighter because yu mentioned that some of them actually come w the bobber or other strike indy on it?

#20 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

Yes, that's correct.

Although I find that once I notice the line or sighter or (most often) the dry fly I am using as an indicator isn't behaving right the fish is gone. I keep the rod tip up and do it mostly by feel.

Also correct — I use fluoro on mono tapered leaders. This where the 7.5 foot 3X leader shines. By the time I finish adding stuff to that, it's a nice manageable 10-11 feet. Anything longer than that, I have no idea where the flies are, sighter or no sighter. If I was six and a half feet tall I could fish with a longer leader, but I'm five-nine and likely to stay that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users