#21 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:48 PM

Longer leaders are ok, in French nymphing ill throw on the coil if flies are smaller and cast further away but I know what you mean, if its too long, gets harder to gauge and thus, control your flies.  3x mono and 5x fluoro for your droppers?

#22 Alex Argyros

Alex Argyros

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:50 PM

I find fluoro better than mono for all tippets.  I'm not sure about the light refraction idea, but it certainly resists abrasion better than mono.  As for dry flies, many people say that fluoro sinks so shouldn't be used for dry flies.  Even if it did sink, I don't that would be a bad thing (I like my dry fly tippets to sink a little), but if you just drop some mono and some fluoro tippet onto some water you'll see that both float.  

And, to repeat myself, I love P-Line Halo in 2 and 4 lb.  It's a great fluoro:  holds knots very well and is incredibly cheap.

#23 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:49 AM

I haven't tried P-Line but next time I'm shoppng I'll check it out.

Yes, I'll start with a mono leader tapered to 3X and then add whatever. The 4 lb Vanish is about the same heft as 3X; the 2 lb. about 5X. 

I think that's right. Anyway, it's how I proceed, and it works.

By the way, for anyone reading this and thinking "Boy this sounds like a lot of work," it's a little tricky at first but now that I am used to it I can rig up one of these Frankenleaders in a couple minutes.

Case in point this evening on the Housatonic. (Work interfered with my getting over to Phoenicia for a couple of days, grrr.) 

It's smorgasbord time, with sulfurs, isonychia, caddis and stoneflies all working to varying degrees, so I was changing flies a lot until I found a winning combo. 

Naturally, as soon as I'd committed to one thing the sulfurs really started in earnest and it was clear the trout were keying on them. And of course the droppers were all too short to tie on another fly, so I had to start from scratch. 

If the entire process took more than five minutes I'd be surprised. More like two.

#24 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

PS: Watch Davy Wotton's "Wet Fly Ways" for the rigging. It's really simple -- surgeon's knots and Davy knots.

As a bonus you get his amazing demonstration of how to fish three wet flies, and you learn what happens if someone asks about adding some weight.

#25 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

Sounds good to me :)

#26 Alex Argyros

Alex Argyros

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:38 PM

Ditto on Davy Wotton.  One of the best videos out there, and on a technique that few people use anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users