#1 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:40 AM

Was wondering why Simms is getting away from gortex and see a new fabric torray or however it was spelled.. any insight for the new wader material appreciated,, thinking about a new chest wader but have a few old ones still leak proof but think they won't last another season. Was thinking about the freestones for 230.00..any suggestions appreciated

#2 andy

andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationEastern Sussex county, NJ

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

Whatever brand you wind up choosing, I would consider making them a pair of zippered waders.  This is especially true if you are up in years and have prostate problems which cause you to pee a lot.  I fit that description and I'm hooked on zippered waders for the rest of my fishing days.

#3 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:38 AM

Andy, I never seen zipper waders or think I'd have need for them, I like a waistline like the ones I been using over 10 seasons..like pants basically,, as for peeing? sure brother, just pull them down and squirt!!!! sheesh ..does not a bear pee in the woods/stream?

#4 andy

andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationEastern Sussex county, NJ

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

Please accept my sincere apologies for me expressing  my opinion and offering the suggestion.  I wear chest-high waders because I fish big rivers and wade deep.  Peeing is a real inconvenience.  I've used all types of waders during the 65 years I've been fly fishing and think the waterproof zippers are the greatest innovation since breathable material.  It was only a recommendation based on my experience and I was only trying to be helpful.

#5 jayd18

jayd18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationStormville NY

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:09 PM

Andy
Thanks for sharing your opinion and experience with us.

#6 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:11 PM

Please accept my sincere apologies for me expressing  my opinion and offering the suggestion.  I wear chest-high waders because I fish big rivers and wade deep.  Peeing is a real inconvenience.  I've used all types of waders during the 65 years I've been fly fishing and think the waterproof zippers are the greatest innovation since breathable material.  It was only a recommendation based on my experience and I was only trying to be helpful.

Andy thanks for sharing, I think zippers after a few seasons could fail (certainly a good idea ).. After you recommended them did I notice many brands with zippers.. I like the waist ones i mentioned above.. they are easy to pull down with one hand like pants with a belt clip..I rarely need chest high anyway,, also the ones I'm thinking are pretty versatile, they feature extended pull up as high and waterproof as a chest wader design ,, but these much more comfortable and great for getting in and out mobiles..also convenient to wear like pants.. enjoy your trout season Andy , hope and wish you good things!

#7 RiserMiser

RiserMiser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:09 PM

Why ask opinions if your mind is set? The dude takes the time to give you his opinion based on what he's used and likes. You come back with your agenda and assumptions of how you don't think they'll last and ramble on about what you're gonna get. Why waste everyone's time?

#8 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:31 AM

Why ask opinions if your mind is set? The dude takes the time to give you his opinion based on what he's used and likes. You come back with your agenda and assumptions of how you don't think they'll last and ramble on about what you're gonna get. Why waste everyone's time?   riser miser chill OUT dude ... . i wasn't looking for zipper waders  .. I was asking if others tried the latest simms products .... question and get a rude reply  a waste of everyones time  RiseMiser 256 posts advanced member !

#9 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:36 AM

Please accept my sincere apologies for me expressing  my opinion and offering the suggestion.  I wear chest-high waders because I fish big rivers and wade deep.  Peeing is a real inconvenience.  I've used all types of waders during the 65 years I've been fly fishing and think the waterproof zippers are the greatest innovation since breathable material.  It was only a recommendation based on my experience and I was only trying to be helpful. ANDY THANKS AGAIN BUT I'm not interested in  ZIPPER CHEST WADERS.

#10 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:40 AM

Why ask opinions if your mind is set? The dude takes the time to give you his opinion based on what he's used and likes. You come back with your agenda and assumptions of how you don't think they'll last and ramble on about what you're gonna get. Why waste everyone's time HOLY SMOKe Why waste your time...  ?

#11 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

Why ask opinions if your mind is set? The dude takes the time to give you his opinion based on what he's used and likes. You come back with your agenda and assumptions of how you don't think they'll last and ramble on about what you're gonna get. Why waste everyone's time?

Why not ask..if you read the topic  ,, I was more inquisitive about a new line of product and really as for zippers, I worry long term failure after a few seasons I experienced failure of seams in lots of waders and can't imagine zippers could last much as long as the design i own now which last many seasons and highly recommend!  I guess after a read here about some the quality brands who make zipper waders and so far haven't had any issues. I must look into them ,..warranty etc.

#12 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:02 AM

Whatever brand you wind up choosing, I would consider making them a pair of zippered waders.  This is especially true if you are up in years and have prostate problems which cause you to pee a lot.  I fit that description and I'm hooked on zippered waders for the rest of my fishing days.

If  I'm in need of new waders, I'll consider them Andy,,  so far my old convertible Simms are still watertight,I like them in the summertime especially  ..but do appreciate your advice  and enlightenment about zipper waders.never heard of them .assuring read about them here on catskillflies..   if and when i decide a new wader..i'll certainly check out the zipper too .. the zipper sure must be much more convenient.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users