#1 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:42 PM

I've heard and read nothing but nice things about Collins Hackle and the owner Mr. Collins....and our host Catskill Flies is one of very few dealers......I'd like to make it to Catskill flies shop  to view them in person but I may instead order from their website......grade 1 and 2 are $60 and $50.....Grade 3 is $30................just wondering who has experience with them and is the difference primarily that you can get stiffer and smaller sized feathers with the higher grade?    Also what colors do you like the most......I'm fascinated by the uniqueness of Cree but for my personal tying i'm not sure how often that is the color that would suit me.      

#2 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:14 PM

Idryfly, I use them often. Personally it depends on the color, if it's a color I use small hackle I choose the higher grade. His browns, grizzly and his light ginger excellent. Sometimes his duns can get a bit funky. They can be some offshoot colors, this is when you ask Dennis his opinion on what you want to tie with it. I use the grade 2 for the most part but there is a 1 or a 3 mixed in. The stems are very nice, not the length of some other brands but I usually get 2-3 parachutes from one feather. I do not over hackle my parachutes only 4 turns at the most. I should mention that the hackle for the most part is stiffer than most brands. Hope this helps.

Gene

#3 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

Gene......do you find grade 3 decent for parachute type flies?     I like to tie dun colored parachute spinners....i sometimes over hackle but I then also clip off the hackle to appear more like spinner wings.  So maybe a pure dun in grade 3  (as parachutes require larger feather vs hook size) might suit me for that specifically.

#4 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

I'm sure a 3 in a dun would be sufficient. Of course that being said it might depend on what Dennis has in stock at the time. Give him a call a bit later in the morning when the action slows down. I know Dennis quite well he knows his stuff.

Gene

#5 TomTrout

TomTrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationBloomingburg NY

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:01 AM

Idryfly,

I don't know if they exits anymore but Collins also has/had a tyers grade.Slightly below a 3 for colors you don't use often.

I find his necks great to tie with. No the feathers may not be as long as other brands but much better that the Chinese and even the old Metz necks I have. I have no problems with a little splash or variation in color on dun necks since I personally think it makes my fly a littler buggier.

Cree is a great color especially if you tie a lot of Adams as it is a brown/ginger Grizzley mixed feather, or any other pattern you would mix those 2 colors together. I prefer that I can use one feather to tie a fly using 2 genetic hackles makes them to bushy to my eyes.

Tom

#6 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

I just ordered from our host catskill Flies on line     1 barred crown grade 3 cape.......1 cree grade 2 cape.    

#7 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:49 PM

I just ordered from our host catskill Flies on line     1 barred crown grade 3 cape.......1 cree grade 2 cape.    

I got an email that order was cancelled as items weren't in stock....and I can call the shop to discuss what they have.  I think i'll wait until I head up to roscoe and I'll go into the shop personally to view the available collins hackle -  that is always the optimum anyway.

#8 TomTrout

TomTrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationBloomingburg NY

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

I try to buy most of my materials in person. Whether is color , or quality of hackle. Type of deer hair I want or even preblended dubbing mixes. Only I know what I want that particular material for.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users