#1 TomTrout

TomTrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationBloomingburg NY

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

For years I have been tying midges on Mustad 94859 from 18-28 and Tiemco TMC 518 for 30-32.

I can only find the TMC 101 down to 24 the other 2 sizes seem to be discontinued.

What are you guys using for you extra tiny midges. I use more small flies a year than anything else my supply getting very low.

Tom

#2 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:17 PM

Tom......I can see you are a true addict if you tie 30's and 32's......I think the lowest I've ever gone is size 28......and now I'm probably at size 24 or 26 as my breaking point ,,,,,,the farmington will do that to you  (and yes.....some gents there go size 30 and 9x or 10x.....but I have to laught that off.   I've done 8x.....but i develop my own principals as time goes on and 7x is my absolute lightest  (and never on the Upper D.....where its not needed anyway).     To get back to your question.......I tie all small flies on TMC 2488's......they have an awesome wide gap which is even more important when trying to get a hook set on a small fly.....and they are 2x short.   Therefore when you tie on a size 20...it's really a 22.....and you can make it even smaller by not utilizing the entire shank.  I swear by these hooks for all the small olives and midges I use on the farmington.....I usually use size 20, 22 and 24.....which gives me size 22, 24 and 26 flies......but if you want to torture your eyes I believe they sell them up to size 28 (size 30).   good luck.   Just out of curiosity what waters do you usually fish these flies ?  

#3 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

Agree with idryfly, tmc 2488 for all my small flies. The tmc 518 has been discontinued from what I've heard.

Gene

#4 TomTrout

TomTrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationBloomingburg NY

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:11 PM

You guys made me check I do have the 2488 in 30 and 32 now can I still get them in those sizes? I'd still prefer a straight shanked hook for some of my dry midges. Want to have fun tie a few up after tying up some Surf Candies. The size difference and Epoxy high they ain't pretty.

Tom

#5 Grouse

Grouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPutnam County, NY

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:56 AM

I agree with sizing of midges being limited to 22, 24, 26 and tippets no lighter than 7x though I rarely go lighter than 6x. I prefer straight eye hooks and have even opened the gap on some. The biggest mistake is tying too large a fly for the hook size. Too many people tie a #22 fly on a #26 hook. My blue wing olive patterns can go down to a #24. For midge fishing I'll go smaller and use very simple patterns. Most of this fishing is on the Farmington or Croton system.... Midging elsewhere for me is rare these days. My favorite midge is a simple gray thread body with a small ball of muskrat fur which is picked out. This seems to always work on midging trout.

#6 trseigfried

trseigfried

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA and Livingston Manor

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

.tenkarabum.com has Varivas 2300 Ultra Midge #30 hooks and other micro hooks. A few years back I had a great time fishing #32 rusty spinners on the Willow during August mornings.

#7 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

when you guys fish these very small flies, do you fish them on a dropper or by 

themselves?

#8 trseigfried

trseigfried

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA and Livingston Manor

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

when you guys fish these very small flies, do you fish them on a dropper or by 

themselves?

I fish them by themselves and always to rising fish that very close to me. If I can't see my fly I will pick up and cast again. When fish take a very small fly and the hook doesn't catch on anything it does not spook the fish and they continue to feed.

#9 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

thanks for the reply, the reason i asked my question the way i did was to open a dialog on a system i have been using for small size

flies and like today on the west branch, size 28 bwo.

I have been using the New Zealand indicator system for these very small flies, i install a bit of the wool per their instructions and

slide it up the tippet to about 24" above the fly, snip the indicator down to the size of a post on an 18 smaller and have at it. This works great

on fish feeding in the film etc., you can slide the indicator up or down the tippet depending on the situation.  On the west branch

the indicator looks like one of the many air bubbles that float down the river. It really worked on the Beaverkill in May in between hatches.

FYI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users