#1 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:01 PM

Any recommendations for a Golden Stone Dry? May be headed to Montana to fish Rock Creek in July. I am obsessing over which patterns to tie. Being a fly tier, I just cant bring myself to buy any or use anyone else's patterns so I must tie. I  cant bring myself to use rubber legs or foam either and I see many patterns tied this way. I am working on a variation of the Stimulator but the standard pattern may work just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Leif

#2 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:22 AM

Ok still working on reinventing it though. Needs a few tweeks... Here it is.

Hook 200R size 10

Tails: CDC Shaft/quill/stripped

Ribbing. Black Thread

Body Dubbing: Yellow CDC fibers from stripped quill

Antennae:  CDC Shaft/quill/stripped

Thorax dubbing Yellow CDC and Orange Rabbit mixed

First under wing: Yellow CDC feather

Second Under wing: Teal Slip

Top Wing: CDC with fibers reversed and butts left in and pulled back.

Thread. Yellow 6/0 Danville 

image_zpsmcrme7tl.jpg

#3 SigFly

SigFly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTuckahoe, NY

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

That is a very appealing fly. I agree there seems to be something unfair or uninteresting in the use of foam and rubber legs. I mean, shall I float a rubber ducky down the river next? I love the extensive and various uses of the CDC in this pattern. How did you apply the CDC body dubbing? Remove fibers from the stem and then dubbing loop? Or...well, you tell me!

#4 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

SigFly,

Thanks! I remove the fibers from the stem, wax the thread and "touch dub"/dub the fibers on the thread. A dubbing loop would work too and may result in a more secure dub. The ribbing holds everything in place as well so a tight dub is not necessary and I like that some of the fibers stick out and make it look buggy. I use the bulk CDC. It is not the best quality for smaller flies but has bigger feathers for the application.

I was trying to create something that would really float yet not be too bulky and stiff like the Stimulator. I'm thinking I could add eyes, maybe a hackle rib or thorax hackle. Also, I stumbled on something, By leaving the butt ends of the antennae and tails, they create legs for the fly.  You can see on the side of this fly, I left the butt end sticking out. Put a little bend in them and a few dots of permanent marker and they look like legs.    

Thanks,

Leif.  

#5 SigFly

SigFly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTuckahoe, NY

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

Right. The ribbing would do the work of securing the CDC -- so no real need for a dubbing loop. Probably a bit quicker too. Definitely good use of the CDC stems, otherwise they would likely find their way into the waste basket -- at least my waste basket. I am sure a traditional Stimulator would do the trick out West, especially when the fish are feeling goofy amid a heavy stonefly hatch. But if the water isn't too rough, I like the flush profile of what we have here. Similarly, I prefer a Deer and CDC caddis over an Elk Hair. Those buggy CDC legs and the wing tented right in the film...hoo boy. Thanks, Leif, for sharing this pattern and your thinking behind it.

Best,

Sig

#6 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

That's what they like and use out west........rubber legs/foam bodies, I was only out there once but killed them on my standards.

example for the golden stone a big elk hair will work. The fish are very cooperative out there. 

Leif,

It's not the upper EB that's for sure. Post your results, have a good trip.

#7 lpette

lpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationOakhurst, NJ

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Gary. The more I read, the more I realize how cooperative the trout can be there. My heart is in the Catskills and I love the challenge of those rivers. I may get bored  if the fishing is too good.

Just tied a couple dozen Purple Hazes.

Leif

#8 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

Careful lots of river closures, I don't think Rock Creek is one of them??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users