#1 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

I have to learn to tie.. Was privileged this Monday meeting a regular who impressed me with his knowledge both equipment tied CDC patterns he was going to use at junction in WB. I learned so much in a 15 chat with Mike. At least I know now what to look for in the fly shops..summertime bugs are mostly small

#2 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

Nice to hear JJ, fly tying is a wonderful pastime but be careful, don't do it to save money. Dennis at the shop can be very helpful in info, fly choice and flytying.

Gene

#3 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

Gene,no doubt as I had tried with starred fly tying kits and without a second thought buy them for the time and distance travels..I even confirmed with this gent that I would rather shop locally near the streams I flyfish rather try to tying them myself..it sure is an art and no doubt stop at Catskill flies and ask Dennis about the ties I seen in this guys box...I mean he really explained why he uses the CDC flies he tied..most of the one flybox he was packing had same size and pattern..thorax looked to me CDC dubbing..but if I recall they were his olive patterns..looked simple but even though I remembered what they look like..I don't know if I could buy or tie them as you say..very small dark hooks..looked basically blue wing 20s maybe 22s. ..but grayish and thin dressing..think what he emphasized mostly was the CDC and not to use float dressing..he also explained why most the big 20 in. Plus BT he catches are on these tiny flies. ..especially the emerged patterns same size..I was amazed all my questions he answered right from my own years experience.. Think I met one of the most dedicated and experienced flyfishmen in years this Monday..going to stop in and Talk to Dennis..hopefully next time up.. this guy show and tell CDC bwo patterns and how to use them looked convincing..ty cheer

#4 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

I've been fishing the Farmington river once a week for the last few weeks.....and like the Delaware....on my last trip this past Monday the fish are getting tougher and the flies I have to use smaller.  My ticket this last outing was using sulphur CDC comparaduns .....I use no dubbing whatsoever on the abdomen....very minimal dubbing for the thorax.  This is what I have to use now in slow pools.....the other styles i was doing great with a few weeks ago seem to be tougher to fool them with.  I find the sparser the fly the better it works...less is more.  I just ordered an Amadou dry flying patch on line =...from what i understand it works wonders in drying your CDC flies after they get wet.  Always wanted to get one.

#5 Gene

Gene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

Idryfly, the amadou does work real well, just keep it from getting wet like in a hard rain. Still works but flattens it out a bit prematurely.

Gene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users