Photo

Where can I get accurate rainfall amounts?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:08 PM

I just would like to see how much drops up in Roscoe area between Hancock and liberty NY ..like with the passing front today..I see rain in forecasts but which apps/whatever are best?.. AccuWeather / Hudson valley but they don't disclose approximate rainfall amounts from what I seen. Tia

#2 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:10 PM

Going to try between golfing next few days

#3 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

It helps knowing specific amounts of rainfall for the MTS..seems like it is top secret here..just saying..from how I interpret the conditions after every rain of significance

#4 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

It helps knowing specific amounts of rainfall for the MTS..seems like it is top secret here..just saying..from how I interpret the conditions after every rain of significance

#5 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:27 PM

So I just did a search for approximate rain fall amounts @ Catskills NY region weather forecast and a fkin app commercial popup on this so called smart asz pH gives me a vios lottery for computer crap!... Folks this is outrageous.. So much for the fkin real weather apps and iso providers on a fkin mobile smartasz pH...I swear to Jesus.. Anyway I l ain't biting it..going up I all find out

#6 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:29 PM

Probably between an inch or two according from what crap weather stations I visited on this mobile device

#7 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

No wonder people drowned in lousisanoboma !!!l I'm still going golfing on that creeps watch

#8 Alex Argyros

Alex Argyros

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:57 AM

Fishing boards that begin to delve into politics usually run into trouble.  In my experience, politics and religion are not topics that make for healthy and supportive communication about fishing issues.

#9 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

Alex, like you I am very interested in what even the lightest rain does to the system up there. Pre Irene, there were a couple more USGS streamflow gauges in some of the popular streams, but now the best thing I have found is to monitor the Beaverkill and relate it to the streams I frequent. I even made a chart that compares the B-kills actual flow to my interpretation of flow on the streams I fish. For example, if the B-kill is @ 340, I will make a note of the flows where I fish. After a couple years of this I can predict the conditions fairly accurately. My best advise would be to call the shop (s) and get some real time advise... I do that still! CJ

#10 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationYardley,PA

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

Just realized it was not Alex who asked!

#11 BrooklynFlyGuy

BrooklynFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NY

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

I agree Alex. Fishing threads should be left to fishing. Anything else and Barkeep's rules should apply.
Meaning, no politics and no religion.

#12 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:56 PM

Streams on the way up looked pretty decent looking off rt 17/86 wb looked high but wadable off bridge 191 but it was too windy most the day..felt like a fall day..cleared weeds cut the grass and chilled and grilled.. This M foggy but pleasant sweatshirt temp..going to look off the bridge by me

#13 Iso

Iso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:18 PM

The national weather service measures rainfall at designated places and they don't always correspond to fishing conditions. As others suggest stream gauges by the USGS are the best way to see current conditions. As for the future, I found this site earlier this year: http://water.weather...=bgm&gage=CKFN6

It gives a predicted water level based on the current weather forecast models. Had some wet weather in May and this site was pretty good at predicting what the flow would be 24-48 hours out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users