#1 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:28 PM

Hey, just wondering if anyones interested in going up to Pulaski later this month/early October. In the past,  I have had a regular fishing buddy for these excursions but his schedule conflicts with my own now.  pm if me if interested 

#2 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:06 AM

Northcountryman,

Im going up a few times but you know my schedule is tough.

#3 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:40 PM

Hey guys, wanted to give  an update of my salmon trip week before last. A friend and I went up to the dam in Oswego, hooked into ALOT of fish, lost everyone EXCEPT one, my first salmon!  Caught it on a classic streamer pattern  ( I think a smelt pattern, not sure).  Anyway, I fought the fish for about an hr and FINALLY landed her, an 18lber, lots of fun :)

#4 Flyman

Flyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationYork and Starlight, PA

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:34 AM

Anyway, I fought the fish for about an hr and FINALLY landed her, an 18lber, lots of fun :)

If it took you an hour to land one of them king salmon you were either using too light a rod or you were babying the fish.  I've landed kings up to 28# on a #8 rod in less than fifteen minutes many times on the Salmon River.

#5 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:05 PM

I used a 7wt and 1x tippet;  since it was my first successful landing of a salmon, I was overly cautious im sure

#6 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:37 AM

I remember roughing it in my car first trip 1979 and each fall season after that , use to to do three to five day trips a couple times every fall in the 80s early 90s  ..use to bring parka and sleeping bag ,park down a dirt trail lots where it is now the Douglas ..use to rough it at selkirk shores park too.. snagging lead weighted treble snag hooks were allowed!!.. omg,,how ugly the thought! even off the peer on the lake treble snagging!.. i also spooned with a big ugly stik and 300 mitchell spin reel loaded with 25lb stren.... as the years and seasons went by, regs changed for the better..poor fish still get ripped i bet.. I been there many times with friends who had private estates and warm accommodations but,, I  lost interest going that far to hit or miss,,all the rest of the bunch I fished with them years ago don't care to do it either anymore... you might find it more fun if you try after the salmon run crowd bs around thanks giving ! If you can pick a few warm days for steelheads and bows !!! that was our favorite time using flyrod for steelhead always used a steelhead spin gear egg sacks myself.. you might enjoy it more after the rediculous muddy salmon crowds.. enjoy

#7 northcountryman

northcountryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationMonticello

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

Care to go up again sometime JJ?  :razz:

#8 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

I am not interested Dave,ty for the invite..I lost my urge going up that far..good time though with the weather these days..good luck if you go again and post some pics here if!

#9 Flyman

Flyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • LocationYork and Starlight, PA

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:19 AM

Northcountryman,

Do you sometimes post on Troutnut.com? I see that avatar on that web site once in a while.  I too post there under the screen name wbranch.

AKA Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users