5 replies to this topic

#1 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

I just read a letter in my TU monthly news letter authored by Malinda, she has a fly shop in Altmar. I have met her many times

but not in the last few years. The tone of her letter was that of warning, apparently there is an issue with the Ontario fishery that

has many concerned and her letter (well written) was a call to action. Does anyone know what the situation is?

#2 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

Two very cold winters cause a near complete freeze of Ontario the last two years has severely affected the alewife population therefore not enough forage for Chinook Salmon.  As I understand it the State is considering a halt of the Chinook Salmon stocking program.  Less salmon equals less fishermen.

#3 BrooklynFlyGuy

BrooklynFlyGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NY

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

Considering that Chinook Salmon were stocked in the lake to control the alewife population, which helped to decimate native Atlantic Salmon because of thiaminase issues, I think that this is an end result of what the powers that be were trying to accomplish all along. I know the results have never been great with the attempts to reestablish the Atlantics (they are just getting a foothold now after years of stocking), but maybe now more money and effort can go into doing that.
Short term it sucks for the sport fisherman, long term (if it's successful) it's a win for not only the fisherman, but the species and environment as a whole.
It's my opinion and I know it's not a popular one with some. 

#4 troutpunk

troutpunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

I haven't seen the letter (please post it if you can) but I don't think it is just the Chinook.  The steelhead run has completely plummeted.  I remember hearing last year that people were seeing tons of dead/messed up steelhead. 

#5 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:25 AM

i will try and figure out how to post it

#6 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members