Photo

casting upcurrent or down?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: casting upcurrent or down? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

up ? down? accros

1. up (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. down (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

3. across (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 IDFFly

IDFFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:39 AM

as much as i would like to cast upcurrent to risers . i find that this presentation spooks the wild fish even if done properly. the landing of even the leader will put down a fish. casting from directly across and you will end up with micro drag. the only viable method i have found that works is down and across. what are ypur thoughts

#2 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

down and across is the most effective because the trout sees the fly first.........there are also different techniques  of lowering your rod after pulling your fly into exact travel lane you want for the trout.     I have also successfully used an across stream cast using the reach cast to avoid drag.       Upstream casting can sometimes also be effective if you have choppy currents but it is not effective on slow glassy pools that make up 80% of the Upper Delaware........which is why the down and across cast simply rules on that river.

#3 dennismueller60

dennismueller60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationHopewell, NJ

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:22 AM

I use all three, I think each has its place. 

Shallow riffles I like upstream and I like upstream for the top of pools where the fast water spills in, it is easy to get a drag free drift and spooking the fish is usually not an issue (assumes you can wade the pool quetly)  Generally, by upstream, I like slightly to the side and upstream, that avoids the fly line landing on the fish, if the cast is good.

I like across when there are no tricky currents that make drag-free drifts, short and difficult. A reach cast can handle the simple gradients, but not big changes in velocity.

Downstream works well if you can be positioned upstream without spooking the fish, not generally a problem on the Delaware, if the trout stopped eating every time they saw someone, they would starve.  But unless you know exactly were the fish is, there is the danger of spooking him when you pick up your line for the next cast.  (Like for upstream, downstream doesn't generally mean directly downstream, but a bit to the side so the fly line does not have to drift over the fish.)

BTW, while I did not mention it, I used all 3 methods successfully in the trip report I just submitted.

#4 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

I do it all. Sometimes in the same cast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users