3 replies to this topic

#1 ews

ews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:00 PM

Hot,hot,hot---the weather,not the fishing. air temps almost 90,bright sunny day. not the best conditions.Nothing doing,no bugs,no fish. Saw a few March Browns.Hopefully the cooler weekend will be better

#2 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'm sorry to hear this  -  but you made me feel a little less upset.  I tried everything to take off Thursday and get to the Beaverkill - but work obligations ended that fantasy - I just thought the stars were aligned for a great dry fly day.......lowering flows, rising water temps and whispers about March Browns......maybe next week if we get a coudy day.

#3 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

Maybe it's just me, But I think it's been a weird season so far. I started off gang busters, avoiding stockies with a chuncky Esopus Spawner Rainbow and a couple of larger browns than usual, all sub surface on soft hackles or streamers. Then the rains came and then the mini heat wave with spring like flows and day time temps ranging from spring fall and summer all in one day. Maybe it's because I haven't been over on the main stem or EB and WB, but with the exception of a couple of little Rainbow nippers sighted on the Esopus one afternoon, I haven't seen a rising fish yet and I'm out there lots.

#4 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

I have not yet hit the Catskills.....I'm fishing tomorrow and not sure if I'm going to Ct.  (Farmington)  or the Catskills.    I think the freestones have been weird this season whereas the tail waters have been solid.  I've been on the Housatonic in CT. with decent flows in the low slow pools - but I've barely seen any rising fish at all - only catching them "on the swing".  Likewise I was on the Ten Mile River in Dutchess - a freestone  (my first time ever) for a few hours this past weekend blind casting dries.......and despite seeing caddis and sulphurs coming off...as well as a few scattered March Browns......I did not see 1 single rise anywhere...and only managed 2 swinging my fly at the end of the drift.   I then compare that to the Farmington which I have been on about 8 times so far this season.....and except for the 1 unlucky day when they increased the flows from the dam whilst I was awaiting the Hendrickson hatch (and threw the fishing off)  ......every other day I was able to find consistently rising trout and it was excellent.  From the reports I read online it appears from a dry fly perspective - the willow and beaverkill have been rather stagnant - whereas the Upper Delaware has had a lot of surface action.  I'm wondering if this is the result of last years low water levels hurting the freestones but not affecting the tail waters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users