#1 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

Was up for the weekend, water levels very good. Friday it was over 80F air temp at 6pm, by 8pm it was below 50F. It seems the fish and bugs

were somewhat stagnant, very few risers and very few March browns, a lot of caddis in morning and evening. Some spinners every night, not much falling though

it was usually breezy at night. Anyway i hooked up with a few fish each day, got one great 18" brown on a rusty spinner in the middle of the day.

Hoping the hatches and risers start getting more consistent, but I guess that ain't happening until the weather gets consistent. Still felt like early spring up there Sat and Sun..

Will be back up there this weekend for more abuse, lol.

#2 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Locationnorthern new jersey

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:43 AM

Gary,right with you.although tonight the Caddis hatch was fast but furious tonight..only released three natives under 15 in but healthy..it was just before the pink purple orange sunset on the upper middle EB...man today not many March but they were on the bottom (casing pupa) any day forward for sure.. I'm happy camper next few days be here

#3 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:49 AM

I think those huge pupa walking the rocks are the mb too big to be Caddis..but yes any day depending on conditions..the res makes it or breaks it these days!

#4 fly14

fly14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

bugs have been horrible for the most part on all rivers- lets be real here the hatches are bad this year because of the drought conditions we had last year that left rocks exposed for nearly 6 months. The hatches aren't going to kick in on memorial day and be great from there on out. It will take a year or two to recover as it always does after an extreme year of tough conditions as we saw with the major floods. I've been fishing more caddis than ever the fish have been actually on the pupa this year because of the sparse mayfly activity. Lets hope the sulphers are decent to keep the summer fishing ok thru july

#5 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

I drove up yesterday to fish the Upper WB Delaware......as usual it was very challenging and by early afternoon i was fishless with a few missed hooksets.......aside from olives and a few March browns tan caddis was the real ticket.  Finally I hooked into a bruiser that took one big jump and made a deep run and broke me off ......which was my bad.  I then managed a nice football sized bow and a smaller brown to net - both on a tan CDC caddis and that was it.  Rising activity was sporadic but I found targets.    As an FYI.......on the way there and on the way home I stopped at a beautiful stretch of dry fly water on the Beaverkill in Cooks Falls.....in the past I have done very well here.....spent 40 minutes each stop -.....and although I did see some bug activity.......i did not witness 1 single rise on the entire stretch - which even arguing reduced bug activity - is unusual and scary.  

#6 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:52 PM

I'm going home tomorrow..tried several favorite pools on upper middle EB again last night around this time..figure the wind would die down and it somewhat did after sunset and Caddis although small spotty hatches brought fish to top it was hard reaching them..it was over before dark breezy still...think tonight is going to worse.. just drove a loop and seen nothing off the bridges..no bugs at all on my windshield...I believe you are right about last year's drought affect.. I'm going to drive and see before it gets too dark..I doubt I will try unless it looks promising... sometimes you know not to bother..looking like that tonight and the breeze is strong on the water..maybe it will die down..last night one huge brown took my rusty spinner home with it.6x too light..need to stay 5x..I only have florocarbo too..I rather use mono orvis green dries..beginning to think unless florocarbo is underwater..it is actually more visible on top using dries

#7 troutpunk

troutpunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

For you guys that have been fishing, how does it seem the fish held up last summer?  Are you guys catching mostly stockers or are you getting some holdovers/wild fish? 

#8 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

I only fished the Upper West and Upper East Delaware yesterday      fishing was good but they are all wild and holdover survival is not an issue....However - I will say this - on my way home yesterday around 7:30pm......every stretch of the Beaverkill visible from Rt. 17  had tons of fly guys in it.......so I can only assume the Green Drakes are on and there is steady holdover action.  This is the time of year that it pains me that I have to be gainfully employed -  I would prefer to be retired or a trust fund kid (in which case my 400 acre river front estate would be on the Upper West...LOL) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users