dennismueller60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationHopewell, NJ

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:07 AM

I fished 3 days in the Delaware, mostly the mainstem and had decent results:

Day one, arrived about 5 PM and fished the Mainstem.   Starting nymphing since I saw no obvious risers and caught 3 smallish browns ~ 8 inches.  There were some sulfurs on the water, so I decided to switch to dries, but since there were few risers, I tried an Iso and sulfur tandem.  That got no interest from the few sporadic risers I stalked and the sulfurs stopped.  Some caddis were about, so I switched the sulfur for a dark olive Elk and CDC.  I got one small brown on the caddis and then a nice 18 rainbow on the Iso pretty much in the dark.  This was the first day of the major drop in flow rates and by the time I quit, the water temp was 66.

Day two:  I started on the mainstem and started off with the same 2 flies from the night before. I got another rainbow in the Iso, before switching to a Sulfur emerger sz 16  and an olive bubble emerger sz18.  I again chased some of the sporadic risers and got 2 one on the sulfur and one on the olive.  I did spot a very large trout rising in a spot that is tough to fish, deep to wade and not an easy spot for drift boats.  He took something off the surface with head and tail rises and his tail was the size of my hand  After trying to get a good drift by wading in from the deep side, a drift boat went over him (can't really blame the guide, I was fishing back against the usual direction) and he failed to come up again..  I decided to take a walk to find more cooperative fish, but failed and since the temps were now 66 and rising, I decided to try the West Branch.  It was about 5 PM and the usual pools were filled with fishermen , but not much rising, so I tried the riffles with an sulfur emerger and a size 18 floating nymph.  I caught 2 tiny browns ~6 inches on the nymph and went looking for larger fish.  In a flat section, there were some sporadic risers and magically no fishermen.  I made multiple casts over some of the steadier risers with no luck.  Switched to an iso and caddis because the caddis were starting to show up as it got dark and what rainbow doesn't like an iso?  I got 2 browns about 14 inches each, one when the fly was dragging behind me as I tried to figure out what might work better and the second while blind casting in the glooming as I headed back.

Day three;  I started earlier 9:30 and began with some dries, but switched to nymphs because there were no rises.  It was drizzling .  Of course as soon as I rigged up the nymphs, small olives appeared and a few fish rose to them.  I decided to persist and in particular to cover the large fish I saw yesterday.  I had one good fish on for a couple runs before he came unbuttoned, then I thought I snagged the bottom and started to wade up to free it and gave a tug and then slowly the bottom started to move. It was a very big fish, I wish I could say I landed him, but sadly, I never even saw him as he swam below and broke me off.  FWIW, the fly he took was a #18 sparkle pheasant tail.  Later, I hooked and lost 2 more fish on nymphs.  I was getting tired because I was nymphing in fairly deep and fast water and slinging the nymphs was getting to be a lot of work.  To my surprise, it was now 4 PM, I had spent about 5 hours non-stop, no wonder I was tired,  I went to shore and re-rigged for dries.  It appeared Olives were the only thing around so I tied on 2 olive patterns Sz 18 or 20, not sure, but about the size of the naturals, one a dark bunny dun and the other an hackle-stacker with a light hackle, hoping that I would be able to see one or the other depending on the light.  I waded most of the way across the river and took a 18 inch Brown on the bunny dun.  By then I was really tired and still facing a 3 hour drive home.  I stopped to chat with a couple guys on the way, told them of my drive and said I was done unless a fish really wanted to be caught as I walked back to the car.  Just before the car, there is this shallow riffle, maybe 9-10 inches deep at the low flow and in that riffle there were about 15 rainbows eating olives very aggressively, big head and tail rises, cutting across the current.  I caught one and netted it just as the 2 guys I had spoken to earlier arrived.  The rainbows continued to rise and I tried for more, and caught an acrobatic 14 inch brown.  Further casts were ignored as the rainbows left (or stopped eating, I suspect left since there were some rises in the distance, too far for me to chase).  It was a great end to a good trip, the only thing that would have made it perfect would have been to catch that large trout.  Ah well, he is pretty safe where he is if the water stays cold There is no way to get a decent drift from the bank side, even if you are Lefty Kreh, If you want to approach from the other side or from below, you have to be willing to wade deep and there is only one spot a drift boat could anchor up for him, but in that area, there are usually more easily seen rising fish.   I suspect only rising water temperatures will make him leave.

Sorry no pictures, I left my camera at home and refuse to take my cell phone on the river.

#2 Grouse

Grouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPutnam County, NY

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

I fished the West Branch Thursday afternoon through dark and again Friday.....afternoon to late evening. The flows were nice, perhaps lower than I like but no slime, great conditions. There were some caddis, BWO's, Isonychias, Vitreous?, Sulphurs, a couple Drakes and a few spinners. The trout were rising sporadically in the riffles, runs and tails of pools. When they're doing this I usually fish a spinner to any trout that I see rise. I got six, four rainbows and two browns, all typical West Branch fish....15-17 inches. I also missed two rainbows which I should have hooked. Overall a great day.....At dark, there were lots of trout rising when I was leaving. The wind picked up and I didn't really stay very long. On Friday, I fished the same general area and it was slow. I saw very few rises until later in the afternoon. At one point the water seemed to come up a bit, subtle but a rock I watched became covered then it seemed to drop again. The Sulphurs started to hatch and I took a nice brown on a Sulphur DDT nymph (great pattern). There were occasional rises and then at dark, the trout moved into the shallows and side channels to feed. It's times like this that you really appreciate how many large trout are in the river. While I normally can get one of them under these conditions, not tonight. It's the reason I go back here as much as I do. Great river!!

#3 dennismueller60

dennismueller60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationHopewell, NJ

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:20 AM

Grouse, did you fish in the no-kill section or lower down, game lands or Balls Eddy?  Getting 6 fish is great when the flows are that low and the fish are a bit

spooky.

#4 Grouse

Grouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPutnam County, NY

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:36 AM

Lower game lands..... I generally look for more shallow holding water and rising fish. Deeper riffles with deep pockets, rocks and short pools many people ignore. It really depends on flows and though I prefer higher water, they were there this week.

#5 GaryB

GaryB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

Great reports, I haven't been up in a couple of weeks. thanks

#6 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

I got into them very slow and the report was spot on about the few green Drake on upper eb
Around Centerville.. nothing in that match worked..next night up further released 6 natives no stocki between 4 and 18 inch the 18 teested me but got her to the net to release..I was using iso numphs nothing was on top..glta..think whale watching is next or worms lol

#7 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

Over all the season was tough with the weather..not saying bad but no ways like it was years ago before the commercial internet B's..imho.. no chance for naturally reproduce..I unsubscribed to turn..they did absolutely nothing good from my experience in many them streams.. specifically Eb where I fished over 30 some seasons

#8 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:53 PM

(trout unlimited) turn typo error ..stick or get skunked for the most part it what I offer for report s

#9 jjold17

jjold17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

Stock!!! Lol B's internet​!! Guide svc lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users