• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jaybird

jaybird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

After the scarey flows last fall Im curious how its held up. Any recent reports ? Thanks

#2 Alex Argyros

Alex Argyros

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

I stayed in Phoenicia for the last week of June and fished the Esopus a lot.  I caught nothing big, but I did catch a lot of trout.  All my fish were caught on nymphs fished deep.

Now, for a question from me.  Since I'm new to the Esopus, I'm not sure about what normal flows are.  When I was there the flows were rather brisk.  Were the flows during the last part of June normal for the Esopus?

#3 WINGNUT

WINGNUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationCornwall NY

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:06 PM

A friend of mine fished it Thursday night and reported 8 fish in two hours.  All on Sulfur dries.  

#4 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

I stayed in Phoenicia for the last week of June and fished the Esopus a lot.  I caught nothing big, but I did catch a lot of trout.  All my fish were caught on nymphs fished deep.

Now, for a question from me.  Since I'm new to the Esopus, I'm not sure about what normal flows are.  When I was there the flows were rather brisk.  Were the flows during the last part of June normal for the Esopus?

I wasn't there but was keeping an eye out from afar. Here's the graph for June 20-June 30. Sort of inverse bell curve, with high flows at either end and right around the median in between. So, on the whole, pretty normal.

(Stupid Photobucket. Suddenly they want $399 per year to host photos of fish. By bye.)

vOlnsE.png

Edited by PatrickS, 09 July 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#5 TomLangan

TomLangan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

I fished the Esopus for a few sunrise hours on Monday morning prior to the holiday and did pretty well in Phonecia. I swung soft hackles for a change of pace and thoroughly enjoyed that. Picked up, I don't know, half a dozen silver bullets and a pair of stocked browns. That was my first really full outing on the E this year- been fly fishing for bass and pickerel a lot this spring.

But, suffice to say, I was very happy to see some fish in the river given last year's drought horror show. A few bugs too, actually. I think the flow was 500 and 60F. All depends on the portal, which made up 40% of the flow on that morning. Clarity wasn't bad, and I didn't see any didymo?

All in all, I was pretty positive about this recent outing. Good luck out there. Tom

#6 jaybird

jaybird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

Excellent to hear , bugs and fish . Thanks for the replies .

#7 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

There is a recreational release scheduled for next weekend (Saturday and Sunday, July 15-16). Technically not approved yet but I think it is very likely to proceed.

INfo here:  http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/80682.html

#8 upinjewett

upinjewett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationEAST JEWETT NY

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

While I haven't been over to the Esopus for the last couple of weeks, I've found the fishing this season somewhat better than previous seasons. When I've been there, the water has been running somewhat clearer with normal flows. Dead drifting or swinging all manner of Soft Hackles has been productive. The challenge remains the same; getting a good set on intermediate and larger sized Rainbows and Brownies, rather than watching

your flies chewed up by Silver Bullets.

#9 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:33 PM

I'll be over a lot in August and September. Looking forward to it.

Speaking of soft-hackles, try one of those "official" tenkara flies. They are a cross between soft-hackle wets and spider flies, with the hackle tied forwards over the hook eye. They look weird but they work like nobody's business.

#10 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

I just finished up a week on the Esopus.

Mother Nature is making up for last year's lack of rain, that's for sure. Pretty much every seep, trickle, rill, gurgle, spring, and brook is running.

The Big E had some of its traditional green murkiness to it, depending on location. As I always point out, green murky is fine. Brown murky is not.

No rock snot that I saw.

The new fishing access on Route 28 just west of Boiceville has opened up some very nice water. Obviously people fished back there before -- those trails didn't just appear -- but it's easy to get to. 

I had my best luck above the Portal, however, with stonefly nymphs.

I also plucked rainbow after rainbow out of the pockets between the two bridges in Phoenicia, also with Stimulator/stonefly nymph rigs.

The silver bullets were a little bigger, seems to me -- more in the 10-14 inch range, rather than the more familiar 6-10 inch variety. At some point they cease being silver bullets and start being medium-sized rainbows.

Got a couple hogs up near the Shandaken cemetery and again down along Plank Road, but for the most part it was a steady mix of rainbows and browns. Nothing fancy, just productive fishing.

#11 TomLangan

TomLangan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:21 PM

What a nice report! So good to hear positive news- hope to get there myself soon. I'm glad you're a capable angler- you keep me hopeful lol! Really can't wait for that little chill in the air and color on the trees and being on the E. Really missed it last year, I'm sure we all did. Thx for posting.

#12 idryfly

idryfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationDutchess County

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

I just finished up a week on the Esopus.

Mother Nature is making up for last year's lack of rain, that's for sure. Pretty much every seep, trickle, rill, gurgle, spring, and brook is running.

The Big E had some of its traditional green murkiness to it, depending on location. As I always point out, green murky is fine. Brown murky is not.

No rock snot that I saw.

The new fishing access on Route 28 just west of Boiceville has opened up some very nice water. Obviously people fished back there before -- those trails didn't just appear -- but it's easy to get to. 

I had my best luck above the Portal, however, with stonefly nymphs.

I also plucked rainbow after rainbow out of the pockets between the two bridges in Phoenicia, also with Stimulator/stonefly nymph rigs.

The silver bullets were a little bigger, seems to me -- more in the 10-14 inch range, rather than the more familiar 6-10 inch variety. At some point they cease being silver bullets and start being medium-sized rainbows.

Got a couple hogs up near the Shandaken cemetery and again down along Plank Road, but for the most part it was a steady mix of rainbows and browns. Nothing fancy, just productive fishing.

awesome to hear its making a comeback.........any hatching activity to speak of....and/or corresponding rising activity ?

#13 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

The E is never a super-hatchy river, in my experience. There were stone fly shucks, a little black caddis always seemed to be around, some green caddis in the evening. Cloudy days brought tiny olives, known to me as "specks." I hate specks. I can't see them to tie on, and humid weather makes 6x tippet turn into curlicues.

Mostly what I did was probe around with a mix of big bushy attractors, traditional wets, weighted and unweighted nymphs, and those funky Tenkara soft hackles. Most of this was using a 10 foot 4 weight and a 12 foot tenkara rod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users