29 replies to this topic

#21 xilinx_altera

xilinx_altera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:56 AM

CJ: when I get the next pass out I'll take a video and share.

In riffles I see mini versions of this, in fact, the riffle above my riddle, just like you describe, but same deal can't set the hook, either I set too soon or late.

I did discover for sippers greasing the leader increases my sucess rate. That tip I plucked from the Gary Borger series I watched every winter during my youth. "Grease the leader and its in the bag"

Anyway, tight lines

#22 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

Sorry but i dont believe that actually happens, never seen it, never heard of it. 

#23 xilinx_altera

xilinx_altera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:47 AM

At one point in history the majority of the worlds population believed the world was flat...

The Archerfish shoots water at bugs outside of the water.  The feeding pattern I've 100% witnessed, on several occasions, is actually the opposite to an Archerfish.  The educated trout I have witnessed performing this feeding method pulls/sucks the fly towards them, its brilliant.

You can choose to not believe something you have not witnessed, that is your right, and only a libtard will try and revoke that right through violence or labeling you a racist, xenophobic, homophobic, etc just because you don't agree with them.  However, for those non-believers of the vortex feeding trout, don't be closed minded, perhaps, someday, you will hear and see this rise, and are lucky enough to time it right (that was the question peeps) as your fly gets sucked down, and you land a fish of a lifetime!

Caio!

#24 BillA

BillA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationChichester

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:03 AM

You are full of poo-poo.  Poo-poo was not my choice of word.  "Poo-poo" was substituted for the real word I used.

#25 xilinx_altera

xilinx_altera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.” 

― Albert Einstein

#26 BillA

BillA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationChichester

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

See?

#27 upstate rookie

upstate rookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

I have to agree with BillA on this one. 

#28 hacklehouse

hacklehouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

I agree with BillA and rookie.... This total horse----!
The elitist comment about targeting big trout and all the fantasy
that follows gives a good indication of what this guy is all about...
He should write a book....fiction!

#29 xilinx_altera

xilinx_altera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

giphy.gif

#30 dennismueller60

dennismueller60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationHopewell, NJ

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:02 PM

I am real late to this  discussion.  But my $.02 worth.  I find I miss dry fly takes most often when I  am using a fly that has  either  a substantial wing or very stiff hackles on a small fly.  My best success with hook sets are using CDC flies  or spinners.

My theory is real simple, the  stiff wing or hackle gives the hook some separation from the trout's mouth and it feels unatural to the fish so it rejects it more quickly, while  the CDC is  so soft, it feels more  natural and lets the hook point slide on the  trout's mouth to give it a chance to catch.  I suppose some of that difference is also that I am more likely to use  stiffer materials on flies  that I  will use in riffles rather than on slower where I am more likely to use  CDC and it  might  just be that the trout are not as accurate in the  rapidly moving water.

Sure, I've missed some fish by taking it away from them in slow water before they inhale it, especially if I am watching the  fish tilt up and take the fly slowly, but that  is usually pretty clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users