#1 Grouse

Grouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPutnam County, NY

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

When I had my dogs and did a lot of bird hunting I became very familiar with the change of season. I always considered August 15 to be the start of fall. The signs are all there.....cooler nights, trees and vegetation start to have "that look", wildlife acting different...... changes that aren't difficult to miss if you spend lots of time in the outdoors. This has been a wet year and trout survival has likely been excellent. Brook trout streams that were nearly bone dry last year were filled with fry this spring. It should be a great fall and most of our streams have continued to recover from last year's drought. Let's hope for a great fall free of floods and a good winter.

#2 hacklehouse

hacklehouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

Grouse...our "second" season is just around the corner. Cooler temperatures, colorful leaves and some hungry trout!

#3 Grouse

Grouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPutnam County, NY

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

I love fall fly-fishing..... there is something very special about the Esopus in particular...... It should be a great season!!

#4 PatrickS

PatrickS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, Conn.

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

After weeks and weeks of fishing in a lake from a pontoon boat (in shorts) for largemouth bass, and wet-wading the Housatonic for smallies, I leave this afternoon for a week at the cabin in Phoenicia, and the Esopus. 

Which will be cold enough to require waders. As are the evenings. Not that I enjoy wearing what an old girlfriend used to call "rubber pants," but it certainly seems like fall is getting a bit of a head start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users