#1 zugbug

zugbug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationBelleville NJ

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:46 AM

Before the board was hacked, I had asked about an old rod I had inherited from my father, and JB identified it as a glass rod made back in the late fifites, as I recall. An 8 1/2 ft Action rod, probably about a 7 weight. No identifiers on the rod.

I only fished with it several years ago, before I really got involved with flyfishing. I'm thinking of trying it this year, and will be looking for some inexpensive flyline (but good quality) at the Somerset show. I imagine I will us the rod for some heavy streamer fishing early in the season.

I've always used weight forward lines for my five weights. Any thoughts on what would work best with this glass rod, tossing out streamers? WF or Double Taper?

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:40 AM

Not trying to talk you out of it,but if you really love that fiberglass rod,dont fish with it. I have the very first rod I owned [1977] fiberglass 8',and just for old times sake,thought I would use it on the lower Delaware for Smallmouths. About 2 casts in to the day,it broke at the tip,about 6" from the tip-top. My shop owner friend told me they get real brittle with age. I made a lamp out of it,so I can still kind of enjoy it. CJ
sorry about the guest username,for some reason I cant log in tonight!

#3 Anthony Haskell

Anthony Haskell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

Zug: My first fly rod was given to me in mid '70s by my late Dad. It was a 8 1/2 ' 5 wt. eagle claw. Glass . Its the rod I first learned how to cast with. I also have aan aprox. 75 yr old von hoffe bamboo rod that belonged to my great great uncle. I dont fish the eagle claw any more. Retired it in the 80s when I bought my first graffitte rod. And I have never fished the von hoffe, as I believe that my time on the stream is valuable and I cant afford to be wasting time with inferior equipment that I am not confident in.
BTW... Anyone who is fishing glass or cane, more power to ya.
I wish you well and I dont want to sound like a guy with a chip on his shoulder. For me cane is too slow and glass is too stiff.
Tight Lines
Tony

#4 JB

JB

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationTOMS RIVER, N.J.

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:42 PM

Okay,
I gotta' disagree with Catskilljohn.

Fish the rod, that's what it was meant for. I mean think about it. What are you saving it for anyway? Fish it. If it casts and feels nice, man you got not only a nice rod but a rod that is loaded with memories and stories to tell,

If it breaks like CJ's did, then you repair it and make a lamp or a coffee maker out of it or whatever.

What's the difference between making an appliance out of it or hanging it up on the wall? I'tell you. If you never use it and just put it up in a trophy case, you will never know the answer to the question, when somebody asks you, " Hey nice looking rod, how does it cast?"

If you use it and it breaks, be it the first cast or the second or whatever, at least you can tell them the saga!

If it doesn't break then you can demonstrate to them, as to how well it casts.

The only rods that should be hung up or put out to pasture are broken rods, that are considered beyond repair.

Take that CJ!!!(LOL!)

JB

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:01 PM

Alright JB! Getting his 2 cents in. Okay Zug now you have to line up the edsel and let us know if it casts worth a darn or not.
Tight Lines
Tony

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

Nice posts, great advise guys but nobody answered the guys question. What line should he use??? Yeh it's me, LLOYD. Still can't log in.

#7 JB

JB

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • LocationTOMS RIVER, N.J.

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:51 AM

Only he can answer that question, because he has the rod, we don't.

I don't know about, how alot of you line a rod, but I have learned from experience, that some rods don't really cast the line wt. that is marked as well as they should, often it really pays off to go up or down a size in line wt.

There are alot of factors involved here, line wts are not identical from line to line, very close but they can be borderline. Remember line wts run in a range.

If you don't have several different line wts. or types (WF, DT) see if you can borrow some demo lines to use. I have found that tapers are sometimes more dependent upon the CASTER than the ROD.

Contact me if you need to get some lines, I'll see if I can help you out!

JB

(Okay Lloyd now stop yelling at me! (LOL)

#8 easterncaster

easterncaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationburlington flats and jersey city

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:59 AM

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

JB........OK! Sorry! AHH, not really. LOL!!! LLOYD, GO IRISH!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users