#1 Troutnut

Troutnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:33 PM

I'm still finishing up my new website so I can't be out on the stream much myself yet, but there are some midsummer hatches I'd like to photograph and I'm wondering when I need to go to find them in the Catskills.

If you know anything about timing/location for these mayflies in the Catskills (if they've started, if they're over, where to find them, when they should start) please let me know.

Potamanthus (Golden Drakes)
Ephemera varia (Yellow Drakes)
Epeorus vitreus (a specific kind of Light Cahill, aka Cream Variant)
Drunella lata (the large BWOs from late-summer mornings)
Ephoron leukon (White Flies)
And, last but not least, Tricos.

Also, if anyone knows where I could kick up a few Potamanthus nymphs, it would be very much appreciated. I know they're supposed to be widespread but I haven't turned up any of the nymphs in my previous samples.

Thanks!

#2 jkbugger

jkbugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Locationalbany

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:28 PM

the drakes you refer to should be hatching now but rarely come off in great numbers, the upper no kill on the bk has good golden drake hatches, so does the west canada creek if your ever in that area. The west canada also has good white fly hatches but most of the cold streams in the catskills don't have white flies. However the lower sections of the main delaware have great white fly hatches, took a picture last year of a bridge crossing the delaware covered in white flies (they were caught in spider webs), unfortunatly not on a digital camera. If I see it again this year i will try to get it on the digital.

#3 EBWADER

EBWADER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationHancock

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

Post flood so far, I have seen very few bugs coming off the water. Jason, I would wait until next year to take the pictures of the flies you are looking for, at least in the Catskills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users